Chapter 26: I'd marry you with paper rings

Tine's POV

I walked out in the lobby only to find it utterly crowded. So I decided to go through the side exit and onto the dimly lit alleyway for some quiet time.

Leaning against the wall, I stared at my phone screen again. Trying my best to get past that feeling of disappointment.

I would have been happy — If he were here, I would have been happy.

The box of jewellery in my pocket was only getting heavier by the second but there was nothing I could do.

He said he'd be here, but he's not. And I am done trying to make him come to me. May be I have been taking this too fast. May be it was all in my head — No it wasn't in my head, the ring on my finger has been making me think all kinds of things.

I took a deep breath to clear out my thoughts.

I am going to stay here for exactly five minutes and then I am going to go back to the party—absolutely not looking disappointed.

I closed my eyes, counting down the minutes, hoping to somehow make peace with all the disappointment and anxiety that refused to leave me when suddenly, a big black car pulled near me with an all too familiar licence plate. I looked up and saw him step out of the car in his signature all black attire and a bouquet in his hand, like always.

"What are you doing out here, Tine?" He asked.

"What—what are you doing here?"

"There were a lot of cars stacked out on the front entrance so Dan drove me to the side entrance instead." He turned back to the driver in the car. "Dan, you can leave for now."

The car drove away, but I was still where I was, just staring at him.

Sarawat looked at his watch, seemingly nervous. "I know I am super late, and I am so—so sorry. There was congestion at the airport. I am really sorry. I wanted to come here sooner."

"You should have called."

"I should have. I was too impatient to finish up my work and come back to see you." He handed the bouquet to me. "These are for you."

"Are you planning to buy me with these.. daffodils?"

"No.. I—I just missed you... a lot."

I stared at the flowers and then back at him. All that anger and disappointment had dissipated away — I don't know how. I don't know where.

I was just happy to see him. I was just happy he was here. And that was the moment I knew.

I put my arms around Sarawat and kissed him deeply. He grabbed my waist, pushed me onto the wall, and kissed me back.

"Do this mean I am forgiven?" He asked, out of breath.

"I don't know... I am still thinking about it." I whispered.

Before I could kiss him again, My phone started to buzz suddenly, and I fumbled as I took it out of my pocked.

"What is it, May?" I yelled out, hoping to end the call sooner than later so I could kiss Sarawat again. How many days had it been? Two? Five? Eight? I couldn't even remember.

"Judge Martin is about to leave. Mil asked me inform you."

"What? No. No. Don't let him leave. God, I totally forgot about him" I shouted on the phone and Sarawat stared at me in confusion. "I am just coming inside. Give me a minute, okay?"

I put the phone down and looked up at Sarawat.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

"Yeah... for a second I forgot I hosting a huge party right now." I smiled and Sarawat matched my smile.