01. HIDDEN SHELF

It's a bad monsoon night,

 a loud music is playing through the TV. Grace is having fun all alone in her house cooking herself a meal while her parents are not at home. When the oven rang a bell, she served the food on a plate and came to the living room to watch a movie while having her food. But suddenly the electricity went off.

GRACE: Oh no.

She startled and walked towards the drawer, pulled out a torch. And then, when she looked outside through the window, the lights of the other houses nearby were on. She sensed something's wrong and when she's about to go to her room to grab her mobile phone, she felt like she's not alone. Someone else is also moving around in the house. That moment Grace felt terrified. Anyhow, Grace managed to go upstairs to her room, locked the door and tried continuously to call someone. But the network's not connecting. She tried to call the police but her phone battery died. And now, she started hearing the creaking of the floor like someone's walking. Grace was totally freaked out.

GRACE: [with frozen voice] Who's there?

But she's still hearing nothing but that sound approaching closer.

GRACE: Who are you? Whoever it is, you better leave. I already called the police. They'll be here soon.

Suddenly a loud thudding started against her door. Grace was terrified. She just sat at a corner weeping and praying for some help. After a while it stopped.

She waited a few minutes and she walked slowly towards the door and slightly opened it. When she confirmed that no one's outside she ran downstairs as soon as possible. As she approached the main door, she heard a ring. It's the landline phone in the living room. She ran towards it and picked the call.

GRACE: [with panic] Hello! There's someone in my house.

Please help me.

And she heard a slow voice of a girl saying,

" Hey Flores, you can never run from me. You wanna join me? [And slowly chuckling from her back, to the other ear]

I'm right behind you.

GRACE: what?

That moment, shivering with fear, she slowly turned back and was shocked. With a panic she tried to run as fast as she could, but when she almost reached the door, her leg was grabbed and no matter how much she screamed she's dragged away............

A week later,

The doorbell was constantly ringing. Mrs. Flores walked towards the door and opened it.

MRS.FLORES: Jenny! When did you come from New York? JENNIFER: [Entering the house] The very moment I knew my family abandoned me.

MRS.FLORES: [slowly] What?

JENNIFER: Why are you so shocked? Am I wrong?

Looking towards the picture of Grace in the hall with a sorrow,

JENNIFER: She's, my sister. Aunt Anna. [Weepingly] Even though we are not the same blood, we have grown up together. [Falling to the ground] Am I not one of this family anymore?

Mrs. Flores ran towards her, hugged Jennifer who's sobbing sitting on the floor. After a while they sat at the dining table, not even looking at each other.

JENNIFER: [after a moment] How's uncle Jackson?

MRS.FLORES: He's fine. Hewent to LA on a business trip. [Took a breath] Jenny! Look. Me and your uncledidn't want to tell you yet, because we know that this will make you fallapart. And we don't want that. At Least not now. You should be,

JENNIFER: So, when were you going to tell me?

MRS.FLORES: Maybe after a month. After the completion of your placement at least.

JENNIFER: Right... So, you guys thought that's the important thing to me.

MRS.FLORES: No. We know what is important to you and we also know how much you've struggled for the past 4 years. That's why we didn't let you know that this won't affect your future.

Hearing that, Jennifer just stared at her and spoke nothing like she had no words to say.

JENNIFER: [giving a break] So, what happened exactly.

MRS.FLORES: We don't know, Jenny.

JENNIFER: What's that mean?

MRS.FLORES: We still don't know the proper reason. We both were not home that night. She was all alone. We came on the next day, saw her laid on her bed, dead.

JENNIFER: Then there has to be some reason. I know Grace very well. She's strong. I don't think she killed herself.

MRS.FLORES: Me neither.

JENNIFER: Then it must be some source. Didn't you guys try to find out?

MRS.FLORES: We did Jenny. But I'll refuse to tell you because I don't think you'll buy it.

JENNIFER: What? All I asked is a simple question. Cause of the death. and you don't wanna tell? Aunt Anna! What is it?

MRS.FLORES: Okay fine. The thing that killed Grace is no human. She was eaten alive by a demon. We took all the care....

JENNIFER: What? [yelling] No. Not with that shit again. Aunty please.

MRS.FLORES: [convincingly] Okay. Sweetie, I know you have no belief in these things but what I'm saying is true. If you have seen her in that state, you would have believed me.

JENNIFER: [with frustrated tone of voice] Aunt Anna, there's a murderer out there roaming free. This could also be a threat to this whole family. We have to know the proper truth, but you wanna do nothing because of your foolish beliefs?

MRS.FLORES: [with raised voice] Enough Jenny. She's my daughter and then, your sister. I know what I did. [Took a breath] We discussed enough. You must be tired.

Go to your room and freshen up. Please. Jennifer walked through the door of their bedroom where they have a lot of memories together. She kept her bag down and saw the room thoroughly. There are their childhood photos still hanging on the walls and trophies they won together in school competitions. When she came to the book shelf, remembered the hidden shelf where they used to hide their secrets. She got her hands on something at once when she opened it. It's a book. On top of that it was written, speak to the dead by Violet Williams in capital letters. While holding it, a photo was found in between the pages. It's a group photo with five people, and one person highlighted...... 

I HOPE YOU FELT INTERESTING... PLEASE DO COMMENTS. THIS IS MY FIRST STORY IN WATT PAD.

I'LL UPLOAD THE NEXT PART AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.