19. HELENA

Stacy's sitting at the back door, and looking at the clouds.

Jenny came and sat beside her.

JENNIFER: I couldn't connect Edward. It's already 7am. They must be reached by now.

STACY: Probably due to the bad weather. Any information about Billie?

JENNIFER: No. Cops didn't find him yet. Jacob's trying to contact the state park office.

STACY: Okay.

JENNIFER: [hesitatingly] Stacy, would you mind if I ask you something?

STACY: Yeah. Go for it.

JENNIFER: Why are you so scared of blood?

STACY: [Clicked the tongue and took a breath] When I was 10, one evening my mom took me to a store to buy an ice cream. Suddenly a burglar broke into the shop and shot the man who was sitting at the counter and also my mom even after she gave her bag. Then he ran away.

I was so dumb back then that I did nothing but sitting there, crying while my mother died choking in her own blood. When the police took me back home, my father was reeking of alcohol. Just like he always does. He didn't even look at me properly.

I just went into my room, stood in front of the mirror, looking into it for 8 hours, just staring at myself covered with blood. My mother's blood. Years passed. But every single day, I still stand in front of that same mirror by 9 pm, seeing myself with blood all over my body. And every fucking time, my body freezes for hours. It's like I got used to it. [Breathing shakily] My mom's death is torment for me. But today, after seven years, I lived that same nightmare once again.

JENNIFER: But this time, you have us Stacy. Not your alcoholic father, not the mirror from your room. It's us, who will always be there to wipe out the blood. Even if it's from your imagination.

STACY: [smiled] I know. Okay Jenny you said you saw some girl. What made you feel suspicious about her? Have you gone through anything too?

JENNIFER: [Laughed] No it's nothing. I just ended up at the psychiatric ward, embarrassing myself. She's just some patient[Suspiciously remembering her look] probably.

Meanwhile, Jacob came out from his room, " Jenny! Did you forget your jacket at the hospital?", he asked.

JENNIFER: [Realizing] Oh. I guess I did.

JACOB: Yes. I'll go get it for you.

Jacob took the helmet and keys from the shelf.

STACY: How do you know that?

JACOB: I got a call from the hospital.

JENNIFER: [thought for a second] Jacob! Gimme the keys. I'll go. You stay with Stacy. You're still not in a condition to drive.

JACOB: It's a motorcycle. And it's raining outside.

JENNIFER: Yeah. It's okay. I know how to drive.

Jenny took the keys and helmet and went to the hospital. She reached the reception and asked for her jacket. "Nurse Helena kept it with her. Please wait for a second. I'll just ask her and get back to you.", said the nurse at the reception.

Jennifer sat at the waiting area, seeing at the wall where the signing board was showing the way towards the psychiatric ward. She waited for a few seconds, thinking and stood up and slowly started walking in that direction. When she almost reached the entrance of the ward, she tried to sneak inside. Suddenly someone poked her from behind. Jenny got startled. When she looked back, there was a nurse and she smiled.

JENNIFER: Ahem.. I know I'm not supposed to be here. I'll just leave.

HELENA: No no... I'm Helena. I'm the one who informed

Mr.Rivera about the jacket. [Giving her the jacket] Here.

JENNIFER: Oh.. thanks.

HELENA: You are welcome.

JENNIFER: Ok. I guess I should leave then, Helena.

HELENA: Wait. Actually there's something else I wanna talk to you about.

JENNIFER: Yeah. Tell me.

HELENA: Let's go somewhere private.

Helena took Jennifer to the back side of the hospital. "I Am the one who brought the cops into your ward to make

Mr.Rivera's report. You remember?", Helena asked jenny.

JENNIFER: Yeah. It was you.

HELENA: Mr.Rivera said that a guy named Billie Tartal attacked him. I know a person with that name. He's the guardian of one of the patients from the psych ward. I think he might be the person who attacked your friend.

JENNIFER: Okay. But, why are you informing us and not the cops?

HELENA: Because I felt like it's not a good idea to go straight to the cops just based on my supposition. He always comes twice a day to visit her. Mr.Rivera can identify him if he's the person.

JENNIFER: Sounds like a good plan. But why are you helping us? You don't even know us.

HELENA: Yeah I know. But if he is the culprit, then I'll be responsible for the next victim. And I don't want that to happen.

JENNIFER: That's really wise. [Thinking for a second] By any chance, was that patient a girl of 11 or 12?

HELENA: Yeah. Her name is Luna Tartal. 11 years old I guess.

JENNIFER: [Slowly] Oh.. She must be his daughter. [To

Helena] Can I meet her?