14. MANSION

It's one peaceful foggy morning. A car stopped in front of a huge gate. Agnes got out from the car and took the luggage out of the trunk. Maisie stepped out, ran towards the gate saying, "Woah". Evelyn walked towards her and looked inside holding the grill, "Mom, is this where we are going to live?", asked her mother.

AGNES: Yes dear.

Seeing them from far away, a man came towards them and asked, "Are you Agnes Smith?" AGNES: Yes. Iam.

JAMES: Hello. Iam James Martinez, gardener of the mansion. AGNES: Oh. Nice to meet you Mr.Martinez.

JAMES: My pleasure. Sir Williams already told me that you'll be here today. He asked me to escort you to your cabin.

[Walking towards the luggage] So, may I? AGNES: Yeah. Thank you so much.

James took the luggage and walked inside through the gates leading them. Walking through the fog they reached the cabin, beside the mansion. As they went inside, a lady came forward, greeted them and introduced herself as Laura

Martinez".

JAMES: She's my wife, also the cook of the mansion.

LAURA: I've arranged everything for you people. So, suit yourself. [Hurriedly looking at the watch] I have to prepare breakfast now. Let's catch up later.

And she ran out, so did James. After a while, Agnes freshened up and reached the mansion's main door. When she stepped inside, saw it was huge and beautiful. There are plenty of rooms, decorated with a lot of antique furniture and things. Agnes was amazed looking at the interiors, she walked forward by looking all around. She reached the dining area and saw Margaret Williams and Violet having their breakfast.

AGNES: Good morning Mrs.Williams. Iam Agnes Smith, your new...

"Madam, is what you're supposed to call me. Start your work from the study room", Margaret said and left the dining room.

Agnes felt that was so strange but said nothing. She walked towards Violet and said hi to her. She replied nothing but just continued slicing her pancakes and eating them. "I have daughters almost your age I guess. So, how old are you?"Agnes asked her. But she just finished her breakfast, drank the juice in the glass and left. Agnes was confused and didn't know what to understand about the response she got from her mistresses on her very first day of the work.

LAURA: [observing them] She's 12. [Smiled] Don't feel disheartened. They are a bit anti talkative people.

Agnes just smiled and left the dining room. After some time, as Margaret said, she went to the study room to clean it up. As she opened the door, saw the shelves filled with hundreds of books. She started taking out one by one and saw weird titles on each book, few are of different unknown languages. After some time, She cleaned the whole room and when she came out, it was already evening.

LAURA: [Passing by,] Hi. Hope you had a good day.

AGNES: Yeah. [She smiled]

LAURA: Okay. My duty is done for today. Let's meet again tomorrow. Bye.

AGNES: Wait. You don't live here?

LAURA: No. We have a farm house a few miles away. We live there with our child. So, see you tomorrow.

Agnes went to her cabin, had dinner with her daughters and slept. After a few hours of sleep, she opened her eyes due to the nightmares and walked into the kitchen. While having some water, she saw a lady in a white dress standing at the pond which is near the mansion, looking at it. She kept the glass aside and walked out slowly looking around. When she reached the pond, she saw no one but the fog and darkness everywhere.

"What are you doing here at this time?" Margaret asked from behind.

AGNES: [Looking at her and her dress] Sorry Mrs...,     Madam. I saw you from the cabin. Thought if there's any.....

"Go back. Never get out of your place in the middle of the night.", said Margaret and left.

I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE READING. PLEASE DO COMMENT.