06. THE BOOK CHOOSES

In the middle of a deep night, she heard a sound of floor creaking which was followed by the sound of an opening door. And she anxiously stood up, walked towards her room door which was already half open. Through that, she saw some person wearing a hoodie sneaking into her parents bedroom. The next moment she took the study lamp from the table and went towards that room. After the suspense for a while,

"Jacob?", she called.

JACOB: [keeping his hands back and whispering] Lily. Don't make noise.

He grabbed her hand and took her outside.

JACOB: You should be in your bed.

LILY: You too. What were you doing?

JACOB: [Hesitantly] Uh.. nothing.. just... um..

LILY: You're stealing mom's money.

JACOB: What? No.

LILY: Stealing is bad.

JACOB: Lily! This is not stealing. I'm just borrowing it. And

I'll give it back.

LILY: [Seeing the bag] Are you running away from home? JACOB: No Lily. I have to go somewhere. It's important. Can you please go back to your bed quietly, without telling anyone?

LILY: [looking around] What will I get?

JACOB: [ taking her, to her room]strawberries. Plenty of them. I'll get it while coming back. Okay?

LILY: Deal.

JACOB:[chuckles and tucking her on the bed] And from now on, if you see anything suspicious or dangerous, stop acting heroic and I want you to hide or run from it as far as you can.

Okay?

LILY: Okay.

JACOB: Good.

And after that, Jacob left the house, walked to a garage and took the keys from a person for the exchange of cash and started riding..

He rode all night for miles and reached the Roan

mountains.

He went straight to the roan mountain state park office and asked a woman, " Hey miss. I want a favour. Can you please give the names of people who assisted Asheville high school a few days ago?".

" I'm sorry. I don't think I can give you such details.", said that woman.

JACOB:[showing the book] Actually.... This book belongs to one of your colleagues. That person gave me this on the tour that day. But I couldn't return it. I don't even know his name. I just wanted to give it back. In person.

"Oh. That's sweet. Uh.. yeah. I've seen this book somewhere l assume. [By trying to remember] In someone's hands...... But who?", she's thinking.

And a man walked to her holding a latte in his hand, saying,"Hey Mia. What's up?".

"Billie! Do you have any idea whose book is this? I surely saw it with someone among us", Mia asked.

Billie started trembling after seeing the book, threw the latte aside and ran away from there.

Jacob grabbed the book immediately, and ran after him. After having a little chase, Billie got caught at some point. Jacob aggressively grabbed Billie's throat and pounded him against a tree.

JACOB: [showing the book with the other hand] Tell me what do you know about this thing?

BILLIE: [choking] I'll tell you everything. But please. Keep that thing away from me.

JACOB: [Taking his hand off] Better tell me fast.

BILLIE: It was an old lady from Valle Crucis. She gave me this book. She conned me by saying that this book can help us to communicate with the dead people. I wanted to talk......to my deceased wife, so I took it. And later I found out that this book is actually cursed. She just used me to get rid of it. By changing its path.

JACOB: Changing path?

BILLIE: Yeah. To get rid of this thing, we need to leave it in the path of a pawn, another person. So that the book chooses them and we'll be free.

JACOB: [with pain and anger] So, my friend was your pawn? 

BILLIE: [ With guilt ] I'm sorry man. It killed Emily. I have 3 kids to take care of. I....I was so scared. That was the only way, to save them, to save myself. I am not a bad person.

Now, you see, you are in my place, surely you'll do the same.

Right? Now act wise and get rid of it.

Punched on his face,"You selfish bastard. No. I Am nothing like you..", yelled Jacob.

WHAT IS HE GOING TO DO NOW. WHO IS THIS OLD LADY. YOU MUST BE CURIOUS. 

DON'T STOP. CONTINUE READING.