97 - TESSA

EVEN FROM OUTSIDE THE house, I can see Jamie pacing.

Archie agreed, so here we are, sitting outside my house, knowing there's a hungry tiger waiting inside for me.

"You sure you don't want me to come in," Archie says, his voice thick with sadness.

I turn and look at him. "Archie... If you come in there with me... I dread to think what he'd do."

He shakes his head and moves closer to me. "I'll be okay."

"You won't!" My voice breaks as tears fill my eyes.

He goes to protest again, and I know what he's worried about - his eyes keep flitting from my eyes to the cut on my cheek and back again - I just don't want him to get hurt. Again.

Neither of us says anything for a minute, both unwilling to back down, but eventually, he relents.

"Okay, but you call me or text me. Please tell me you're okay."

I pull myself closer to him and rest my forehead against his. I can't do that, he knows that, so he's going to have to just trust that I'll be okay... because I will be.

I know how to handle Jamie when he's in one of these moods.

"I'm so sorry for all of this, Tess. This was my f-"

I stop him by putting my hand over his mouth, shaking my head. He winces slightly as I tap the cut above his lip, but a tiny hint of light plays in his eyes as he looks at me. As he looks through me. Straight to my soul.

"I'll see you soon okay," I whisper.

He sighs. He doesn't want to let me go, but he has to. Finally he nods, but not before he takes my hand and pulls me into him, into his arms, holding me tightly as if I would suddenly disappear if he didn't.

It feels good to be held by him like this again, one last time, so I let him hold me. I let him, because I know it's what he needs, but as I open my eyes, I notice the curtain flickers behind him, so I quickly pull away.

I wipe my eyes, sitting back.

"Can you tell my dad I'll come back tomorrow?" I ask.

His eyes widen for a second, but then he nods. "Mm-hmm, yeah."

"Thank you," I tell him before shuffling round in the seat, opening the door and heading out into the snow.

Even though this will be the last time I see him for at least a few weeks, I don't look back... instead putting one foot in front of the other until my hand is on the front door.

Taking a deep breath, I open it. Another breath, I move into the hallway and let the door close behind me. One more breath, I see him sitting at the kitchen table, head in his hands.

"Jamie?" I ask quietly, not wanting to startle him.

I go straight over to him and kneel at his feet. He ignores me so instead, I push up off the floor and sit myself in his lap.

He doesn't move for a second, but as I wrap my arms tightly around his neck, he starts to break. His arms go around me first, then he sobs into my shoulder, running his fingers through my hair, kissing my neck. We hadn't seen each other in over a month, and despite what happened, it feels amazing to be in his arms again.

The month I've had with Archie had been nothing short of amazing, but somehow when I'm with Jamie, the room suddenly burns ten times brighter. And that is my problem... I'm flying the line between these two bright sons, and I'm Icarus, just trying not to get burned.