62 - TESSA

DECIDING ON A PAIR of jeans with a slightly dressier top, I pull on my black Timberlands with my outfit and head out.

Dad has already gone by the time I'd finished getting ready, but as I grab my keys, I notice there's a note attached to the front door that says  'I'm on a date x'. After I finished squealing, I make a mental note to ask him later before heading out the door.

I'll be early, as I always am, but I figure it gives me time to buy Jamie's 'congrats on your first week of work' gift. His headphones broke a few months ago, probably not helped by Bruce playing with them, so I planned to buy him AirPods, so he could concentrate at work.

Getting to the bottom of the drive, I stop and pull my phone out to text Charlotte, telling her I'm just leaving.

Leaving now! Massively early, as per usual, but I'm getting something for Jamie so don't worry! See you at Turtle Bay!! xxxx

She answers quickly.

And true to form, we may be a bit late! See you soon Tess xxxxxxxx

I smile and shove my phone into my bag as I shut the door behind me before locking up and dancing down the front steps.

A movement next door catches my eye, and I notice my neighbour Mrs Donovan doing some pruning in her front garden. I hadn't seen her since Easter, or maybe even January, so I wave at her as I make my way over to her.

"Hey Mrs Donovan!" I announce myself, not wanting to give her a heart attack.

She turns, looking from her tulips, her face erupting into a smile.

She looks a lot more frail these days, shaky in the legs. I think it's partly due to Frank having another bad fall a few months ago. She's his main carer, although we help when we can, and she doesn't get outside as much as she used to.

"Hello my dear!" she calls, grabbing her stick which is leaning on the fence.

I go to help her and she grabs my hand tightly, only letting go when she's safely sitting down on the bench next to her. When she's caught her breath, she cups my cheek and smiles warmly at me.

"How are you doing, dear?"

I nod. "Both of us are hanging in there, Mrs D! I'm back for good now uni's finished."

Her smile disappears as I know what she's about to say. "You must both miss him terribly." For a moment, I'm not sure whether she's talking about Matt or Archie. "It sounds ridiculous, but I do miss throwing all his footballs back into the garden." She giggles as she turns and looks at our house. "Kept me young." She used to confiscate every tenth ball that came over the fence, but somehow Matt never ran out.

I try to put on a brave face, but it doesn't last very long.

"Oh no," she says when she notices a tear on my cheek. "Silly Mabel, I've gone and upset you."

I shake my head and pull her hand away before she starts smacking herself, giving her a smile. "No, no. It's fine. It's just me. I'm fine." I wipe my cheek and brush away the tears. "I do really miss him. Especially when it's becoming a new and very special time of my life."

I show her my left hand and she gasps, spotting the ring immediately.

"Oh my goodness, you're engaged?!" I nod. "When did this happen? Oh, that's fantastic, Tessa." She leans forward and gives me a tight hug before pulling my hand closer for her to inspect my ring, as any honorary grandparent would.

"About a month ago," I tell her.

"That ring is beautiful! Archie really is a lucky man, isn't he."

"Yeah, he-" I suddenly stop myself, wondering how I'd said that. "Wait, no... I'm not engaged to Archie, Mrs Donovan." Jesus, what is wrong with me?