26 - ARCHIE

THREE MONTHS LATER

THE BELL RINGS JUST as Professor Greenhorn stops writing something on the blackboard.

"Don't rush off!" she shouts over the noise of cheers. "Spring term papers are due on my desk 30th March people!"

A few groans rise up from the jock crowd at the front of the room.

"And yes that means you actually have to study in Spring Break."

I laugh as I smugly think to myself that I had already finished all my assignments, so had the next two weeks entirely to myself.

"Extra credit assignments for over the summer can be found in the basket outside my office after class on Friday. I have four slots, and they're first come, first served."

There is a moment of silence as the whole class seems to be frozen.

"Okay now you can leave," she laughs, waving everyone out. "Have a lovely break, guys and gals. And for goodness sake, please do some homework?"

Some of the room laughs as she moves around her desk before we all start finally packing up our books.

As I look up, I see a boy up front waving. I check behind me to see if he's waving at someone else but there's no one there, and when I turn back he's pointing at me whilst making his way up the steps to me.

I'm in a few of his classes, as he's most likely an Art History major like me. He was my partner on a project in my first class, but I hadn't wanted anything to do with any kind of friend, always keeping to myself as much as possible. But after my promise to both Millie and myself, I decide it can't harm to make another friend in this city. And he seemed nice enough.

"Archie right?" he asks, holding out his hand for me to shake, even though he'd met me before.

I take his hand as I smile. "And you're Oliver?"

"Ollie," he corrects me. "So, is it true that you're a football legend?" he asks, clearly getting straight to the point.

My mouth bobs open and closed for a second as I try to think of an answer. "Who told you that?" I ask with a frown.

"Google," he shrugs as he laughs and I roll my eyes.

I'm about to answer him properly when Greenhorn cuts me off from below.

"Erm, boys? I have another class. So could you take your bromance outside..." she jokes, jerking her head towards the door.

Ollie and I both laugh, apologising before leave the room, pushing against the crowd of students coming in.

When we're in the corridor, Ollie stops me outside another classroom and motions with his thumb. "This is me. And that was a really weird way to break the ice, sorry."

I can't help at how he doesn't take himself too seriously.

"What I meant to say - before I stuck my fucking foot in my mouth - was that you should join us for a game later. Me and some of the boys."

I raise my eyebrows at the invitation but smile.

"We play at the field."

"You do know I play 'soccer' right?" I ask, putting soccer in air quotes. "Not American Football." The thought of playing American Football - even with someone Ollie's size - makes me cringe. I had no idea what size his friends were.

"Dude, don't worry. I'm not one of those American idiots that lives for the NFL man. We play football and we've heard you can, so you should join us."