9 - TESSA

"HAND IT OVER, HOTSHOT."

I can't believe the words come out of my mouth as I extend my arm for him to hand me his phone.

My grin is huge, bigger than it had been in a long time, and I seriously cannot believe I'm about to do this. I don't think anyone else can either because the roar of cheers is still ringing around me. Nelly cheers behind me, making me jump just as Jamie hands me the phone so I scramble not to drop it.

As I hold it firmly in my shaking hands, I smile as Nelly whispers, "Tess, oh my God, that was incredible!" in my ear before kissing my head. She squeals sharply and I laugh.

When I finally get a look at it, I notice it's on the contact screen already and I'm very nearly tempted to give him the wrong number for his forward assumptions. He must have known I'd have to say yes, but I shake my head as I reward him for his bravery, typing in my real number, followed by saving my number as 'Girl from Bar 4321'.

Despite being tempted to click off the screen so he has to find me, I leave it as it as I hand it back him. I do it more for my own amusement than his, but as he looks at it, he chuckles before locking it. I'll get his number when he texts me, seeing as I have given him my real number.

"So these are free, yeah?" Glen asks with a smile.

Jamie looks behind him again, at the man leaning on a door towards the end of the bar, probably the manager. He's laughing as he pretends to think about it, but eventually he nods, giving Jamie and Glen a solid thumbs up. It's an amazing gesture, given the bill is nearly eighty quid, and I can't help but think they'll come out of Jamie's paycheck or something. But when he walks past Jamie and pats his shoulder, I think he'll be okay.

Before too long, Jamie is called down to the other end of the bar, leaving us to bring our drinks to the table. He winks before he walks away and I can't help but smile back at him.

When we finally get to our seats, Ryan looks quizzically at us.

"What was all that shouting for?" Ryan asks as Glen takes his seat beside him.

Nelly snorts. "Tessa just bagged herself a date."

Ryan's head snaps to me and I nod to confirm. "Yup."

"Oh my God, who?!" he leans forward.

I lean up over the throng of people, trying to spot Jamie. When I do, I point to him, trying not to make it too obvious.

Ryan's eyes look approvingly at him and his eyes are alight with excitement.

"And she got this round for free," Glen adds, gesturing to all the glasses.

I laugh. "At the price of my number."

Nelly gears up to recount the entire story, and as I hear it back, I still can't believe it. I was thinking maybe it would sink in if someone else told the story, but it still surprises me.

She exaggerates some parts - especially the bit where she said I dove over the bar to grab his phone - but I just sit back and smile as the group hang on her every word. When she also exaggerates my embarrassment, I demand the conversation topic be changed from me... and thankfully people agree.

It turns to Christmas plans, given that it's nearly December and it distracts everyone enough for me to start worrying if Jamie would ever actually message me, or if it was purely for show. But after Sophie starts on describing her plans for skiing at Christmas, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and a wide grin settle on my face.

I try to ignore it as I listen to my friends but after just a few minutes, my phone is burning a hole in my pocket.

Trying to seem like I'm still paying attention, I take a look.