37 - TESSA

IN THE DARKNESS AND comfort of Jamie's arms, my phone starts buzzing across the other side of my room.

He groans next to me and tells me to make it stop, and I laugh as I roll out of bed, practically crawling across the floor to find the incessant buzzing noise, only to find it was Dad.

"Crap," I mutter under my breath.

"Hey Dad!" I put on my chirpiest voice, at least pretending I hadn't just woken up.

I'm met with silence, and I briefly wonder if I've been pocket dialled. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Dad?"

"Hi Sweetpea... I thought you guys would be here by now?"

He wouldn't be Dad if he didn't get straight to the point.

"Um... Yeah, sorry." I look at Jamie who is now sitting up in bed, rubbing his eyes, looking completely adorable with hair sticking up in all directions. "We had to stop last night because we got tired..."

My eyes widen as Jamie's do. I didn't know why I was lying, but I felt like I had to. But then Dad was like a bloodhound when it came to white lies, so I knew I was treading a very thin line.

"Well, where are you? Are you going to be here later on today? Or is it just a takeaway for one?" His voice doesn't sound angry, so I go with a humoured response.

"You can still order a takeaway - better yet we'll pay - because we will be home later." I smile because I know he is. "I'm sorry, Dad. Again."

He sighs and laughs, "It's okay. I just thought you'd decided to head to Jamie's again without telling us... so I'm just wanting to check."

"No, no, we're definitely coming back," I say, but look up as I notice Jamie waving his arms at me.

"Via your mum's," he whispers as I cup the phone.

My heart swells as I get up off the floor and join him on t he bed, kissing him quickly before I put the phone back to my ear.

"We're going back via Mum's actually, Dad," I update, not able to get rid of the smile on my face. "So if you wanted to meet us there?" I close my eyes as I prepare to catch myself in the lie. "We'll be there by dinner time."

He laughs hard, that deep chuckle I really missed.

"Dinner time? Tessa, you guys haven't even left yet have you." It wasn't a question.

"Nope." I can't help but laugh with him. "Sorry. Exams and stuff have been kicking our butts."

Jamie is rolling his eyes but I don't care. At least that part was true.

"You are ridiculous... but okay, I'll speak to your mum. And no doubt I'll see you there."

"Perfect. And the good thing is that we're all packed, so as soon as we've brushed teeth, we'll be on the road."

Jamie drops his head into one hand and chuckles, wondering why on earth I would say that given we still needed to pick his stuff up, but I just shrug. He should be used to my random outbursts by now.

"Well, just text when you've left, and we'll go from there. I'm looking forward to seeing you in any case, Sweetpea. I've missed you around here."

"I've missed you too, Dad. Is Millie there?"

"She is. Her and Greg are both here, so I'll check whether they want to join. Oh yep," he adds as I hear Millie in the background. "They've just come downstairs and they're nodding."

An excitable 'Hi Tess!' rings out from the background, which makes me smile. She was heading to New York soon, but I'm glad I'll get to see her before she goes.