90 - TESSA

AS CONSCIOUSNESS COMES BACK to me, for the first time in a long time, I feel completely whole.

Without realising it, last night had been what I'd been waiting for. But now... Now I had to wake up and face today. Face right now. Face last night's decision.

I could feel it wrapped around me like a warm cocoon, a safety blanket protecting me from the cold, outside world, his breath on the back of my neck, his arm underneath my head like a soft pillow. Running my fingers softly across the hairs, the hand draped across my stomach pulls me backwards, tucking me into him.

So close, I can feel his strong heartbeat on my back, but I can also feel him stirring behind me, reminding me of last night. I bite my lip and stifle the moan building inside of me.

I am a terrible person.

To alleviate the rising panic inside of me, I turn in his arms, but realise this was worse.

"Morning," he says, giving me the full, husky morning voice that makes me go weak at the knees. "How'd you sleep?" He blinks his tired eyes at me before kissing my nose.

I know I shouldn't, but I lean forward and reciprocate by planting a soft kiss on his lips, holding his cheek with a soft hand. He hums contentedly at the back of his throat as I do so, pulling me closer into him.

It was so easy to get lost in him, in the idea of him again, so I knew I needed to be careful. Last night hadn't been what I planned. Talking yes, but the stuff that came after? Absolutely not.

I couldn't stop myself. Once he kissed me, that was it. Or after I kissed him? I didn't even know because it didn't matter. As soon as we kissed, I felt like I was someone I hadn't been for a very long time. I was the real me, and I liked the way it felt. I felt like Sleeping Beauty getting woken up by Prince Phillip, and I know it's ridiculous to compare myself to a Disney Princess, but that was all my deer-in-headlights brain could comprehend right now.

He pulls away gently, our noses still touching as his eyes search mine. "How are you... feeling?" He swallows nervously. How do you feel... about last night."

He's searching for any sign of regret, but when he smiles, I know it's because he can't find any. I know I should regret a whole load of things I did yesterday, but when it comes to him, I can't. I regret absolutely nothing.

"I feel great, Arch," I whisper, smiling.

He gives me a returning grin that would have made me swoon if I hadn't been lying down.

"You don't regret... anything?" he asks, catching his breath.

I shake my head slowly, holding his gaze, making sure I can reassure him. "Nothing at all."

He smiles again, leaning forward to kiss me. "Good answer," he whispers, chuckling as he leans in again. "Me neither."

I giggle as he rolls on top of me, pressing me into the mattress just like he used to do when he came into my room on weekends. Locking eyes, he kisses my nose before pushing up above me, practically cartwheeling off the bed.

"So... What do we want to do today? We could... We could go to see a basketball game, we could explore the park. We could catch a film? We could..." He stops when he sees me looking at him, eyebrows raised.

"We could just stay here?" I suggest with a shrug, my cheeks heating.

I really didn't want to embrace the fact it was a new day. I wanted to pretend it was still yesterday, and that it was just Archie and I here in our own little bubble.

Having found his boxers and trousers on the floor, he jumps back up onto the bed, resuming his previous position as he leans over me. He has a leg either side of me, his face alight with a smile wider than I've ever remembered it, but as we both hear my phone buzz, the smile disappears just as quickly.