33 - ARCHIE

"SO, AS YOU GUYS probably know, WEH is run from two offices, here and in the Canary Wharf office in London."

I nod. It's hard to forget the image of my dad's legacy emblazoned on the TV each time London is on the news.

"We'll be joined shortly by the London team, but it's just let you know that each office has equal footing."

"Equal footing?"

"Yes, both offices are working equally on the same projects, same deals and are exclusively aware of what is going on at each front. It's become more and more important that we all rally together..."

"Why?" Millie asks.

"Well, it seems once news of your dad's condition became public knowledge, the vultures started circling, so to speak."

My conversation with Tab comes to mind. No doubt Tanner Communications was one of those vultures.

"But, rest assured, this company is going nowhere," Pete smiles.

"Well, that's good to know."

He chuckles just as the door opens and Lisa comes in holding a very complicated-looking remote.

"This is London now. They are obviously aware we are having this conversation today, and expressed interest in being involved... I hope that's okay?"

It was too late to object now, but it didn't bother me, particularly as Pete had just finished saying that the two offices work in tandem with each other. I wasn't about to disrupt that now.

Lisa hands Pete the remote and offers both Millie and I a smile before she closes the door. After a few punches of buttons, the large screen at the end of the room turns on, and I note four people are sitting in a boardroom similar to this one, only a bit smaller. I recognise two of the men at the table from meetings Dad had taken at home, but they don't greet us or say anything, making me glad we chose to come into the New York office. Pete and Toby seem infinitely more friendly.

"Archie, Millie, this is Henry Rushe, my equivalent in London." The man closest to the camera nods before he goes around the room, introducing the others. "They're all up to speed with the particulars," Pete adds, and they all nod in agreement.

Millie squeezes my hand tighter as Pete leans forward and touches a hand to each of the envelopes in front of us. They're identical but I gasp as I recognise the writing on the front. It's Dad's writing. Picking it up, it feels like a rock in my hands.

"What is this?" I ask.

Pete clears his throat and smiles. "It's why you're here."

"It's a letter from your father, Archie," Henry says as Toby slides a large, bound document towards us both, "And a contract."

He looks at Pete, who nods, and he continues. "Your father wishes to sign WEH and all of its subsidiaries to yourselves, to do with what you wish."

The statement sits on my shoulders for a few seconds before I react.

"WHAT?"

The words are out of my mouth before I can stop them, and I'm up out of my seat so fast the chair flies backwards. Walking away to the window, I flare my nostrils as I brace myself on the window frame, trying to get my emotions under control.

I turn back around and everyone is looking at me. Pete has a worried expression - I suppose my reaction hadn't been the one he wanted - but then how was I supposed to react? Dad wanted to sign his company over to us, to do with what we wish... What did that even mean? How could Pete expect us to react any differently to how I am now?