46 - TESSA

DESPITE THE ARCHIE DRAMA running through my head, by the time we get home I actually feel relatively calm.

However, Jamie isn't.

He hasn't said a word all the way home, and he's acting a bit odd. And when we park on our drive, he starts fumbling quickly with the keys, looking to do all but run away. When he checks his watch a third time, I finally ask what's wrong.

"Hey, what's up with you?"

He stops for a second and his shoulders relax. "I'm sorry." He puts his hands in his lap as he stops fumbling with the car keys. "I got a message on the drive back from Sam. They've been given loads of case work for next week, and they've given some of it to me."

"Jamie, that's great!" I frown. "But what's wrong with that?"

"It's for Monday morning... so I'm probably going to be reading all evening. And probably most of tomorrow actually." He bites his lip, knowing it'll probably annoy me.

But him being busy will actually give me a chance to talk to Millie. She knows more than she's let on, that's for sure, so I smile.

"You'll eat dinner with us though, right?" I ask and he nods. "Well, then, what are you waiting for?" I smile. "Give me those," I point to the keys. "The side door's open."

"I knew you'd understand. I love you," he says quickly before kissing me and running from the car.

I sit for a minute, but soon I want to get this conversation over with.

I'm still not mad. At least I don't feel like I am. However I may feel differently when she starts to explain. I won't be mad at her though, I'll be mad at Archie because he's the one that's put her in the position to have to lie to me. I grit my teeth at the thought.

When the door opens, Millie is singing to herself in the kitchen, and whatever she's cooking smells incredible. I can definitely smell garlic in amongst an infusion of something herby, spicy and sweet.

"Smells good in here, Mils. You need any help?" I start, deciding not to put her on the spot straight away.

"Sure! No chef will ever turn down an offer of help. It's homemade sausages with cheese and colcannon mash, with onion gravy. It's basic but it's also... not," she giggles, practically elbow deep in sausage meat.

"That sounds incredible." I laugh. "Mils, I am going to have to be careful or I'll be obese by the time I go back to uni." The sheer amount of food laid out waiting to be prepared is monster, but I suppose we are feeding at least two large and hungry males. Jamie can polish off anything if he's still hungry. Greg will no doubt polish off any leftovers, too.

"You can do the strawberries?" She suggests. "Next thing on my list is the meringue after this." I nod. "After washing my hands, of course."

I chuckle and walk over to the fridge to pull out the strawberries and start cutting, both of us singing along with what's on the radio. When I have nearly a whole bowl of quartered strawberries and Millie has started on the meringue, I decide now is the time to ask about Archie.

"So... Erm. I think I saw..."

I start to say it with confidence but my words fail me. 

Shaking my head, I close my eyes and just take the leap. "I think I saw Archie," I say finally, keeping my eyes on the strawberries.

In the corner of my eye, Millie stops whisking, and her head moves up to look at me. I wait a few seconds before I look back at her, and her cheeks are flushed red.

"I'm not mad, Mils," I assure her. Her shoulders drop in relief. "But I do need to know." I sigh. "Is he back?"

She doesn't deny or confirm either way, but she doesn't have to. He is back.