100 - TESSA

MY ALARM GOES OFF at about five, but I've been awake for hours.

I had already received a stream of messages from Jamie, both last night and again this morning. I've haven't read them, because I know I'd answer him, and I wanted to just make it one day where I didn't need anybody... not him. Not Archie.

I know he feels terrible - I don't need to read the texts to know that - but I know that, if I cave, and he comes, the exact same thing will happen. He'd had hundreds of chances to prove me wrong, but every single time he lets me down, and I've had enough.

But right now, today, is about my best friend. Today is about Charlotte, so today I will put him to the back of my mind, focussing on everything she needs me to be.

I would deal with Jamie tomorrow.

Turning over, I find that Charlotte's awake too.

I smile, taking her hand. "Hey bride to be," I whisper.

She turns and beams back at me, no hint of any cold feet whatsoever.

"I'm getting married today!" She squeals "I'm getting married!"

"Yes! Are you ready?" I ask as a knock comes on our door.

Millie pokes head round the door and smiles, barrelling in, pulling Lucy with her. They jump up on our bed and we all sit up, beaming from ear to ear.

"I love you guys," Charlotte beams. Tears are welling up in her eyes, making a lump grow in my throat. "Thank you so much for being with me today."

I put my head on her shoulder. "Wouldn't have it any other way," I whisper, wrapping my arms around her middle. "Now..." I say, sitting up straight. "Let's go get you made up even more beautiful!"

***

THREE HOURS LATER, MILLIE, Lucy and I are all made up, hair, make-up, waiting on Charlotte's big reveal.

We're in red, each dress in a different style, with mine as a halter, Lucy's as a strapless and Millie's as an over-one-shoulder style. She wanted us to be comfortable, so her only stipulation was that the dresses would be red. Our hair is simple, kept up, and each of us has a headband with a large, red rose.

I had a hold of Millie's hand, and as we hear Charlotte's shoes on the stairs, we turn, and I have to fight to keep my tears from falling.

She looks like a goddess.

Her dress flows behind her, the long sleeves made out intricate lace, with the pattern spreading across the shoulders and down the back of the dress. Her long, blond hair is plaited up on one side, leaving the other side to fall artfully in ringlets down over her shoulder. Her hair has fresh, red rose pins as well, with her bouquet teeming with red flowers, with our bridesmaids dresses matching the red theme of the wedding.

"I want to hug you all, but I can barely move in this thing," she laughs, easing the tension. She could move just fine, and she looked so goddamn beautiful, I swear I was dreaming.

"Knock knock!" We all turn as we hear Cassie at the door. "Are you all decent?" She asks.

"Come in Mum!" Charlotte squeaks, fighting back tears.

The door opens, and Cassie comes in, already close to tears, dressed in her own beautiful, red dress, her hair wound up into a bun.

"Awww you girls look so beautiful!"

Despite annoying Charlotte at the outset of planning her big day, Cassie has been a godsend these last few weeks.

She single-handedly organised Charlotte's hen do last week, which included massages for all, followed by a night out in London, transported by an ostentatiously pink limo, which Charlotte absolutely loved. She handled all the crises with last minute RSVPs, table plans, and worked with Millie on catering, as well as negotiating amazing prices on the place-cards and wedding favours.