19 - TESSA

THAT MESSAGE FROM MILLIE is still haunting me by the time I finally sink into the semblance of sleep. And as I'm jostled awake, the words feel like they're imprinted on my eyes.

"Tess?"

My eyes fly open as Jamie's voice whispers right next to my ear.

Opening my eyes slowly, I smack my lips, groaning at the faint taste of vomit in my mouth. As I take in the room, the doctor and a nurse are standing in front of us. Jamie is now sitting in the chair next to me, rather than nestled in the bed, and the doctor is flicking through an extensive mass of paper on my clipboard.

"You, Miss Granger, are a mystery," he announces, flicking the pages back and tucking the clipboard under his arm.

The nurse moves next to me and gently takes my hand, examining the canular currently in my hand. I look down at the kit next to her and it seems she's taking it out, which I'm glad of.

"Don't look, sweetie," she tells me, and I suddenly think about what she's doing and turn back towards Jamie, who takes my other hand.

It's a weird sensation when she pulls it out, but it's a relief to be able to move my hand without stabbing myself inwardly. She wipes at my skin, cleaning off the excess bit of blood, before putting a cotton swab and plaster over the small cut. When she's done, she gives me a smile and nods at the doctor as he starts to speak.

"Why is she a mystery?" Jamie asks.

"I've never been called a mystery," I admit with a small laugh. Everyone has always told me that I'm a completely open book.

"You certainly are one today. We've tested bloods for a whole range of things with the same symptoms - vomiting, pain and dizziness - but they're all clear. Clean bill of health all round."

"But why is that a mystery?" Jamie repeats.

"Well, fainting spells and vomiting is usually a sign of something, and things would usually show up on blood tests."

Usually. I want to laugh. Usually people don't hear ex-boyfriends calling out to them before they faint. Nothing that had happened in the last twenty-four hours was normal... but then it also couldn't be explained either, so it just best not to.

"But Tessa, you did come up clear across the board, and as there haven't been any issues overnight... I'd say we can't keep you hear any longer."

Jamie and I look at each other before we both nod.

"But please do come in again if you feel dizzy, or you feel sick, shortness of breath... anything, okay."

I nod again before he smiles.

"Well in that case," he says, signing something at the bottom of the clipboard, "I can officially discharge you."

"It's that easy?" I ask.

"Yep. But like I said, please come back in if anything changes, okay."

He nods once more at both of us before he pulls open the curtain and leaves the cubicle, leaving us both a bit flummoxed.

"Well..." I start after the two of us have been quiet for a few minutes. "At least there's nothing wrong with me?"

"Yeah..." He blows out his breath and gives an unconvinced laugh. "I suppose."

He's looking at me strangely so I frown back at him before he finally says what he's thinking.

"Are you sure you want to go back home today?"

I'd been thinking about that too, and I wasn't sure going home today was a great idea.

I shake my head. "No. Not today."