Five

Arden
•••

   I'm halfway out the door, when I hear my father shout after me. "Arden, we need you."

   I turn my head, no longer hiding the hot tears down my face. "Me? You've already used me. You lied to me."

   My father rushes to my side, grabbing both of my arms. "We didn't use you, you helped us. And we still need your help."

   "I can't do anything, I don't know how I can help. I don't know how I can be useful."

   "Don't you see Arden?" Skyler's voice could be mistaken for sweet, but I knew it was all a lie. She takes a step towards us. "You're my twin. My other half. If I can bring them alive, you can control them."

   The room is spinning, I'm spinning. "I can't do that." I laughed, I could barley do anything.

   "We think you can." My father says, "We are sure of it. You can help us control the army. With you and Skyler, we would be unstoppable. We would win this war."

   I don't want to help, I don't want to be here. All I wanted was my mother back. An army of the dead, would only cost blood shed and terror. Nothing good would come from this. I couldn't do this. But I knew my father, I knew how he was. He wouldn't let me just simply say no, and leave.

   So I had to play this right. I had to play his game. But I had to play it carefully. "Would my friends get hurt? Promise they won't die." I ask. I ignore the scoff from my sister, and look at my father.

   "If you decide to help us, we will insure their safety." A lie, he would never promise such a thing. Because he had no control over it. He could not control death.

   I let his lie go, and say one of my own. "Yes." The lie is as smooth as silk. "I'll help then." A smile grows on my father's face. He was proud.

   "My two daughters." He smiled, "Together we will rule this world." I almost felt bad for lying. Almost felt bad he was proud. Almost. But he lied to me. He wanted to tear everything good apart. And I wasn't going to let that happen.
•••