Fourty Eight

Arden
•••

  She had died two days ago. Yesterday we had all sneaked out to bury her body. She couldn't even have a proper funeral, not without the king knowing.

She should have gotten better. She deserved better. I had stayed quiet the whole day. Everyone had.

I'm looking out the window in my room. Out towards the garden. To the spot she sat only nights before.

Will enters the room, sitting next to me. Not saying anything. "A lie for a truth?" I ask.

"Of course." He sounds relieved at the sound of my voice.

I don't know what washed over me. Maybe it was Skyler's words from before. Loss was a greater feeling than love. It was also greater than anger. I was tired, so tired. I couldn't deal with it anymore, the pain. I couldn't take anymore. So tired of all the loss, all the anger. I was done.

"I was never on your side." I whisper. "I was always planning on taking you guys down after we took down my father."

"I think my father was planning on killing you before the crown could even get onto your head. Maybe in ten years, longer, it didn't matter. Just before he gave the crown to me."

"That's not a lie."

"I guess not, but it was something I was hiding so it might as well been."

We sat in silence, taking in each other's words.

"I'm not surprised." I laugh.

He chuckles too, "Me either." It's silent again for a few moments. "Now what?"

"I can't serve a king I don't believe it. Nevertheless one that's planning on killing me."

"I know."

"I don't want to fight anymore."

"The fighting will never be over here. Not until there's more blood spilled."

"I don't want to kill anyone. Not my father, not yours. I can't have any more blood stained on my hands."

Will reached over, grabbing my hand. "It wasn't your fault."

"Maybe." I whisper. We sit, starting out into the garden.

Will's words catch me by surprise. "Let's run away."

I look at him, love was in his eyes. Even if he didn't say it, I felt it. I could tell he meant it. He wanted to leave. He didn't care if he was the prince or not, he would leave if I wanted to. I did want to.

"Ok," I say. "Let's run away."
•••