Twenty Seven

Arden
•••

   He had never talked to me that way. Commanded with such authority, I couldn't even argue against it.

   It made me anger, I was fuming. I wanted nothing more to wrap my arms around his throat and squeeze as tight as I could.

   "Arden." He commands me to slow down as we approach the doors. "You need to stop with your tantrum." His words anger me more. "This is your plan too, remember that."

   I stop dead on my tracts and turn around to face him. "I don't remember writing down anywhere in my plan to marry a cocky asshole prince."

   "You wanted to destroy your father, you still can. But don't think we don't know your father doesn't have spies here at court." He says. "We aren't stupid, did you ever think we keep them here for a reason?" No, I never thought that. Why didn't I think of that? He sighs, "If you act like you hate me, it will be reported to your father. He is not a stupid man either, he will know something is wrong."

   He was right. "You're right." I mumble. He lets a sigh of relief leave his mouth. He puts out his arm and I grab it, before putting a fake smile on my face. "Let's put on a show."

   A fake smile also reaches his face, "Let the show begin." He says guiding me once again to the doors.

   There's four guards standing at the doors as we arrive, they give their bows and greetings. Two open the doors, leading to a room with a dozen people and one long table.

   Will's stops by one of the guards and whispers in his ear. I curse myself for being too distracted by the lights and people to listen. "Before dinner is over, understand?" The guard nods. "Thank you." Will says, before guiding us further in.

   "My son." The king smiles and greets like he's a loving father, everyone's seated and their attention is all on us. "Late." He tisks jokingly, knowing him he was actually mad.

   "Sorry." Will's voice is light and playful, nothing like it's been before. He's playing the part. His arm pulls away from my hand, and moves to my back. Squeezing, and pulling my towards him. "Arden keeps me distracted." He jokes, the king and few others laugh.

   "What can I say?" I laugh, a fake one of my own. Putting my hand on his chest. "Time just goes by so fast when I'm with him." A few women aww and a few men smile. I look over to the king, he gives us both a nod, meaning we are doing well. I look at the queen, she hasn't talked or even looked at us. I don't think she approves of this. That brings me a little comfort.

We walk down the table, saying our hellos as we walk by. "Your majesties." I curtsy slightly. Will was right, this was my plan. My father will think in following through, I will feed him more lies. Then, I'll be right in the nest to take down the others. It's perfect. Maybe I could convince them that I actually can be trusted again.

"Arden." The queen smiles, "You look absolutely stunning."

"You as well." I smile back. She did, she was wearing a long navy dress, with lace and jewels. It was beautiful, she was beautiful.

Will says a few things to his parents, before taking us to our seats on the opposite end. Will sitting at the end, me sitting next to him. Christian besides me, Levi next to Will, and Lilly next to Levi. Smart move of Levi separating them. I don't miss the dirty looks Lily keeps shooting my way.

"Will," I say sweetly earning his attention. Once he turns, I lean into his ear. "Control your dog." I mutter not so sweetly.

His eyes shoot to Lily, who still has that grim look on her face. "Iliana," Him using her full name shocks not just me, but her. "That's enough." He says lowly.