Twenty Two

Arden
•••

    "Seriously guys?" Levi's voice causes my fist to stop mid air.

   "Oh come on," Whined Christian. "You had to to stop her?"

   I drop my hand, and bring it to my side. "What's up guys?" I ask. There will be another opportunity.

   "Nothing," Smiled Christian. "Just wanted to see how the two love birds are doing." I scowl at him. "Don't make that face Arden, you're going to get wrinkles."

   I quickly relax my face, and touch my forehead.

   This time Levi starts to talk, "So what's the plan?"

   "I'm going to my room with my hubby." I say sourly.

   "Don't call me that." Will says distastefully.

   "Ok, William." I roll my eyes.

   "I would advice you to change how you address me." A warning.

   "Or what?" I cross my arms.

   He gives me a sickly smile. "Or else, Wife." He spits out the word like it's acid. "I'll make your life a living hell."

   I take a step closer to him, matching his face. Playing his game. "I'm not scared of you." I smile, I wasn't. Because when I stepped closer, his breath hitched. "Not when I know the effect I have on you."

"Don't mistake my disgust for something it isn't."

"You guys are going to kill each other before there even is a wedding." Christian laughs. I roll my eyes and step back.

My eyes widen, "How many days have I been here?"

   "Ummm." Christian is the first to think out loud. I look at Levi, he gives me a shrug.

   "Nine." Will speaks up. "You've been here nine days, this will be your ninth night."

   He doesn't meet my eyes as he says this.

   "My father will be here soon. I was told he would be coming some time after the tenth night. That he will give me a sign, and I'll know he's here." The boys all tense. "To update him on everything." I add. I can't lie and say the timing wasn't convenient. I was lucky. My father had told my once the tenth moon rises, he will come to meet me shortly after that. I needed to tell him the plan was going along. Not his plan, but he didn't need to know that. "I'll tell him the plans working. You guys have accepted me."

   Levi starts to speak. "You'll have to tell him of the wedding." He looks nervous at his friend, his prince."Knowing your father he will announce it soon. It's better her father hears it from her before anywhere else."

   "You're right." I sigh, "Is there away out of this marriage?" I ask William.

   He's still not meeting my eyes. It makes me feel as if I have one up on him. I don't know in what aspect, but it makes me feel powerful.

   "No." He sighs, "Once my father has come to a decision, he doesn't change his mind."

   "Are you sure?" I ask again. "There has to be something..."

   He stops me, "Yes. Why make a choice if you're just going to change your mind later, that's what my father always told me. You're going to make choices in life. You won't have time to doubt them. So make them, and if they end up being mistakes, they end up being mistakes. Then that's when you need to learn to live with them."

   I think of his words, or his fathers. I disagree with them, but somewhat agree. I don't know exactly how I feel about them. I  don't have a lot of time to think about them. The sound of heels hitting the floor takes my attention.

    "Oh god." I hear Christian whisper, looking at the person approaching behind me.

   I turn my body, and face her. Her eyes widen at the sight of me.

   "Arden?"

   Did no one tell her I was back? Did they not mention me at all?

   Her face isn't filled with kindness or a smile. It's shock, with a little distaste.

   I look at Lilly and give her my best fake smile I can muster. "I'm back."

   Her steps slow as she approaches us. My eyes dart to where her hand goes, to Williams arm. I don't miss the smile he gives to her. Smiles he used to give to me.

   Did I miss something?

   "What's going on?" Lily asks looking at me. "Why is she here? When did she get here? William?"

   His attention is fully on her. "Let's go somewhere where I can explain everything." She nods and lowers her hand from his arm to his palm, holding it in hers.

   It brings something ugly out of me. Something I've never felt this much of. I was annoyed, disgusted, a little angry. But why? It was ugly what I was feeling. It was something that made me say these next words.

   "So I'll meet you in your room Will?" My voice is laced with honey. Implying something we both know I don't mean. Someone behind me takes a sharp breath. Either Levi or Christian, I didn't know.

   Lily's eyes flash with anger. If she was angry now, I couldn't imagine how angry she would be later when he told her. I wanted to see the look on her face.

   Will not being able to lie, sighs. "Yes, I'll meet you there later." That makes Lily fume more. She drops his hand, and storms off. He gives me a look before rushing out of her.

   I wait until he turns the corner. I turn back and face the boys. Levi looks nervous, Christian looks amused. "Am I the only one who saw that?"

    "The jealousy oozing off of you?" Christian snickered. "No, I saw that too."

   I cross my arms and narrow my eyes. "Funny. But seriously? When did that happen?"

   Christian shrugs, "They've been together since I've been here." I turn my attention to Levi. Wanting answers, demanding them.

   "Someone didn't take long to move on."

   "William thought you were dead Arden." Levi speaks up. My eyes widen a little. "That's a conversation for you and him. I won't have this conversation about my sister, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend's fiancée or whatever."

   Her boyfriend. His words echo. He was never my boyfriend. My heart dropped a little hearing that. I knew they could tell.

   "I'm sorry." Levi says, excusing himself before leaving.

   "Arden."

   I put a hand up to stop Christian. I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want to hear I'm sorry or whatever he was going to say. I just wanted to forget it.

   "Can you take me to grab something to eat then his room please?" I whisper. He nods.
•••