He's Gone

JJ x f!reader

Warnings: SAD, mentions of death of a parent, and abusive parent.

Prompt: JJ finds out something's happened to his dad now that he's away from outer banks, and he goes through pain after remembering the few good times he had with him

************************************

     "Who was that?" I asked as JJ walked back to our group. He had excused himself from us because someone called him. He didn't say anything. "JJ?" I asked as I walked over to him. "What's wrong?" Kie asked. "My dad, he- there was an accident when he was on his boat to Yucatan, it hit a wave it couldn't go over, and the boat sunk." "Oh my god." I said as my hand clapped over my mouth. I ran to him. I hugged him tightly. "I don't know how I'm supposed to feel right now." He said.

      I knew how much he hated Luke. And I mean it was for good reason. His dad was a Shit father. But he's still JJ's father. And underneath the shitty things he did, he was still the man that raised him, and before his mother left, he was the man that loves him and did everything with him. And as much as we all hate him for what he did to JJ, we all know that at one point he was a good father, and he did love JJ.

      "I'm so sorry." I said. I knew he wasn't going to say it hurt him. Because the Pogues only know him as the guy who beat him, screamed at him, stole from him, and made him hate his life.

*Later that day*

     "You know they won't even let us bring him back here for a proper burial. He has to stay there." "We could have a memorial? My not be seeing him be put in the ground, but we could always just remember some of the good times." JJ nodded then said, "I don't even know how I would pull that off though." "Don't worry about it. I've got it covered. You just get dressed up tomorrow. Got it?" He nodded. "Good." He then looked at me and said, "I love you. You know that right?" I nodded then pecked his lips.

      I needed to make sure that I had help from the Pogues so I called Kie. "Hey, do you think you could help me set up a memorial for Luke?" I asked. "Yeah. But does JJ want to do that?" "Yeah, he does." "Alright. What are you thinking?" I then began to tell her my ideas.

*The next day*

     I woke up with JJ's arms wrapped around me. I rolled over and looked at him peacefully asleep. I then began to play with his hair. "Hi princess." He said as he opened his eyes. "Hi." I slightly whispered as I gave him a small smile. "I love you." He said. "And I love you, Mr. Maybank." He smiled and I kissed his cheek.

*Memorial*

     JJ and I walked hand in hand to the back of the chateau. "You sure you're ready? It's okay if you aren't." "I'm fine y/n." We walked and saw all our friends. JJ gave them a faint smile. We did this the only way that Luke would be happy. We made a fire, and all had a beer in hand. It was just us sharing some of the very few stories we had that were good about Luke.

      "You know without my dad I would have never started surfing." JJ said. "Really?" I asked. "Yup, he took me when I was 7 to get my first real board. And then he helped teach me how to surf." "I never knew that." John B said. "You know, I remember the first time we hung out at your house." I said to JJ. "Oh yeah, when my dad decided to embarrass the hell out of me." The Pogues looked at us because they had no idea what we were talking about. "We were in the 1st grade and JJ asked if I could hang out with him at his house. When we went to his house his dad kept saying like, 'Good Job' and 'My son picked up and beautiful lady and he's only 6.' and he was just making JJ go red." I said with a smile.

     "You remember when your dad took us fishing?" John B asked JJ. "Which time? When you fell out of the boat, or when I pushed you out of the boat?" We all laughed at the remark. "Or how about the time your dad helped get me away from some stupid guy." Kie said. "You know any of us could have done that." JJ said. "Um, I'm not so sure." Kie said while laughing.

     "Thank you guys." JJ said. "For what?" I asked. "For being here, and doing this for my dad." He said starting to tear up. He paused to fight back the tears then said, "Yesterday when I found out, all I could think about was how last year, I wanted to kill my dad, I almost did, twice. But now that he's really gone, I remember all the good times I had with him. And I feel like I was stupid for being so hard on him. I mean it was no wonder he started doing the things he did." "Don't say that." I said as I wiped the stray tear off his face. "It's true though. And honestly if it weren't for you guys, I would probably have been happy he was gone. I mean not that I like feeling like crap about it, but I would feel worse later on if I ended up happy he's gone." JJ has more tears rolling down his face, and he immediately wiped them away.

*Later that night*

     JJ and I laid together in the hammock. We hadn't said a word to each other, we just laid there quietly. That is until JJ said, "Y/n, I don't know what I would do if it weren't for you." "I could say the same about you." "I'm serious, today is just really hard, I mean he's gone. And I didn't get to say goodbye. Sure I said bye when he left the outer banks, but I didn't get to be there when he took his last breath." I stayed quiet not really knowing what to say. "But today would have been even worse if I didn't have you. You've made it so much easier." "That's like, my job." I said causing him to chuckle. "Thank you for everything." "I would do anything to make you happy. Or to give you closure." I said. He kissed the top of my head and we stared up at the starry night sky. "You know what I've always done after my dad died? It's a little weird, but it always made me feel connected to him." "Hmm?" He asked me. "I would lay out under the stars, and I would find the brightest star. That's where my dad was looking down at me from. And I would just know that he's watching over me. And if a star didn't stick out to me, then I knew he was off doing business and watching over someone else. Again it's weird, and you probably think it's stupid. But I've done it since I was in kindergarten." "It's not stupid." He said to me.

************************************

YALL- I actually started to cry multiple times while writing this. Ahhhh-