episode one

the vanishing of will byers

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

SAM DIDN'T CARE it was a school night

SAM DIDN'T CARE it was a school night. And she knew damn well her mother didn't care, or if she even realized her children weren't at home. Ever since the divorce, she's been acting strange. Sam doesn't blame her mother, of course, but she could definitely be a little more attentive to her kids and not just her cat.
Blinking rapidly, Sam was shaken from her thoughts as the game in front of her got more and more intense.
"Something is coming." Mike Wheeler spoke from behind his propped up book. "Something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness." Dustin Henderson glanced at his party's reactions before ridding his nose absentmindedly.
"It is almost here." Mike continued eerily.
"What is it?" Will Byers blurted out, nerves getting the best of him.
Sam Henderson smirked mischievously. "What if it's the Demogorgon?" To be completely honest, the blonde teen didn't think it was the Demogorgon, she just loved to scare her boys as much as she could.
"Oh, Jesus." Dustin's face grew pale and Will slipped back in his chair. "We're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon."
"It's not the Demogorgon!" Lucas Sinclair insisted with a roll to his eyes. Mike cut off any other arguing.
"A group of Troglodytes charge into the chamber." The Wheeler boy slammed a game piece on the board harshly.
Dustin scoffed. "Troglodytes?" He nudged his sisters arm. Sam shrugged with an unconvinced look.
"Told ya." Lucas smirked in his smugness. The triumph was evident in his tone and the way he leaned back in his chair. The group snickers until they realize Mike doesn't join in.
"Wait a minute..." The Wheeler boy spoke grimly, taking a long dramatic pause. "Do you hear that? That - That sound. Boom. Boom. Boom!" He slammed his fist on the table causing the others to jump up and lean forward. Sam ran a hand through her dyed blonde hair, resting her open palms of her knees before leaning her weight on them.
"That didn't come from the Troglodytes. No, that...That came from something else." Mike continued his monologue with a low voice. The Henderson boy glanced at his party, the worry and anticipation clear on his round features.
"The Demogorgon!" Mike slammed the game piece down, enticing a groan from the players.
"Damn it." Sam grumbled. Lucas recovered and turned to the older girl quickly.
"Sam jinxed it!" The Sinclair boy accused. Sam's jaw dropped.
"I didn't jinx it. You jinxed it." She countered childishly.
Dustin flung his hands up in frustration. "We're in deep shit."
"Will, your action." Mike turned to the brunette boy in question. The Byers boy glanced around the board before up at his party members.
"I don't know!" He shrugged anxiously.
"Fireball him." Lucas gestured to the ghastly figure. Sam shook her head in a quick dismissal.
"No, no way. He'd have to roll a 13 or higher." The Henderson teen reminded. Dustin nodded.
"Too risky." He agreed. "Cast a protection spell."
"Don't be a pussy." Lucas grumbled. "Fireball him!"
"Cast protection!" Dustin cut in before his sister could lecture the boy on his choice in swear words. Will looked around the group frantically, thinking of every possible outcome of his decisions.
"The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering." Mike jumped in again. "It stomps towards you. Boom!"
Sam sighed. "Okay, we're screwed. Fireball him." Dustin looked at her in betrayal.
"Another stomp. Boom!" The Wheeler boy continued loudly.
"No, cast protection." The curly haired boy stared at his sister pointedly.
"He roars in anger!" Mike dramatically acted out what he read. The party argued over each other loudly, trying to convince the Byers boy to play out their strategy.
"And then...?" The Wheeler boy began, turning to Will expectantly.
"Fireball!" The brunette boy stands and tosses the dice harshly. It clatters against the table before falling to the ground.
"Oh, shit." Dustin cursed as he and the rest of the players stood and glanced around the floor frantically.
"Yo, where'd it go?" Sam pushed her hair from her eyes.
"Where is it?" Lucas asked while Mike, Sam, and Will dove under the stairs to rummage for the dice. Dustin and Lucas dug around near the table.
"I don't know!" Will grumbled as he felt around the cobwebbed floor.
"Is it a 13?" Dustin pushed as he shook his anxiety out of his hands.
"I don't know!" Will repeated in an annoyed tone.
"Ow! Shit." Sam groaned in response to slamming her head on the stairs above her.
"Oh, my god. Oh, my god." The Henderson boy paced, hands on his head and pulling on his curls.
"Mike!" A faint yelling was heard from above them, none of the kids paying it much mind.
"Oh, my god! Oh, my god!"
"Mike!"
"Did you find it?"
"Where is it?"
"Find it yet?"
"No, I can't find it!"
The door above them squeaked open.  "Mike!" Mrs. Wheeler put her hand on her hip while Dustin continued rambling.
"Mom, we're in the middle of a campaign!" Mike protested with a groan.
"You mean the end? Fifteen after." The woman tapped her wrist.
"Oh, Jesus." Sam groaned and crawled out from under the steps.
"Oh, my god. Freaking idiot!" The Sinclair boy shook his head.
"Why do we have to go?" Will mumbled as Mike followed his mother up the stairs.
"Mom, wait. Just 20 more minutes." The Wheeler boy pleaded.
"It's a school night, Michael." His mother glanced at him briefly, continuing to pick up the kitchen. "I just put Holly to bed. You can finish next weekend."
"But that'll ruin the flow!" Mike groaned and glanced behind him when Sam walked up the stairs to grab her coat.
"Michael-" Mrs. Wheeler was cut off by her frantic son.
"I'm serious, Mom. The campaign took two weeks to plan." His voice grew quiet as he continued. "How was I supposed to know it was gonna take ten hours?"
"You've been playing for ten hours?" Karen stopped what she was doing, glancing from her son to his makeshift babysitter.
"Sorry, Mrs. Wheeler." Sam smiled innocently. "It was a very good campaign."
Mike groaned. "Dad, don't you think that 20 more-"
"I think you should listen to your mother." Ted cut his son off. He smacked the TV as it went out of signal. "Dang dumb piece of junk."
Sam shook her head as she stepped down the stairs to get her brother ready to leave.
"Oh, I got it!" Will jumped up. "Does a seven count?"
"It was a seven?" Lucas stopped his search and turned to his friend. Dustin quickly put on his jacket when he spotted his sister waiting on him.
"Did Mike see it?" The blonde teen whispered towards the Byers boy. He shook his head.
"Then it doesn't count." She winked with a sly grin.  The boy nodded and they all began to gather their things, knowing the lecture they would get once arriving home. Sam pressed herself against the banister when Lucas and Will started to run up.
"Hey, you guys." The curly haired boy called to them. "Does anyone want this?" Dustin motioned to the almost empty pizza box.
"No." The two boys spoke simultaneously and continued their hike. Sam shrugged and followed up after them.

Bouncing up the stairs, Dustin headed towards Nancy's bedroom door. Sam, who had followed him to the top of the steps, could hear the teen talking on the phone.
"Yeah, he's cute." The Wheeler girl giggled, having not spotted the boy at the open door yet.
"Barb, no. I don't think so." Nancy continued. Dustin waved slowly to get her attention. "Barb, you're not-"
"Hey, Nancy." The younger boy finally spoke up. "There's a slice left if you want it. Sausage and pepperoni."
"Hold on." The brunette teen mumbled. Sam heard footsteps and saw the side of her little brothers smile. However, it dropped quickly when Nancy slammed the door in his face. Dustin glanced to his sister for help, but she just shrugged.
"It's okay, more for us." She smiled sweetly and placed a hand on his head as he went to find his friends.

"There is something wrong with your sister." Dustin claimed when he walked outside. Sam waved her goodbyes to the Wheeler couple and closed the door behind her, skateboard in hand.
"What are you talking about?" Mike asked exasperatedly.
"She's got a stick up her butt." The Henderson boy glanced to his friend as he jumped on his bike. Sam snorted a laugh and tried to cover it as a cough. Mike gave her unimpressed glare.
"Yeah, it's because she's been dating that douchebag, Steve Harrington." Lucas agreed. Sam placed her board on the ground and scoffed.
"You're luck you don't have to go to school with them. Trust me, it's worse then the Demogorgon." She grimaced with disgust.
"Yeah, she's turning into a real jerk." Dustin bit into the last pizza slice, talking as he chewed.
"She's always been a real jerk." Mike countered. "The cool sibling was always only Sam."
"Thanks kid." The blonde in question messed up the boys hair.
"Nuh-uh, Nancy used to be cool." The curly haired boy countered as he, Will, and Lucas turned on their front lights. "Like that time she dressed up as an elf for our Elder Tree campaign." The kids leaving the Wheeler residence started off down the driveway.
"Four years ago!" Mike reminded with an annoyed yell.
"Just sayin'!" Dustin shrugged before he and Sam raced down the driveway.

"Hey, Will." The Henderson girl glanced at the Byers boy as he pedaled past her. "You better not tell Mike about that roll. It never happened, right?"
The boy hesitated. "Whoops." He smiled sheepishly, pedaling faster.
"Will Byers! How could you?" Sam feigned betrayal and kicked her board to move quicker.
"Good night, ladies." Lucas blew a sarcastic kiss to the boys before sending a genuine one to Sam as he pulled in his driveway.
"Kiss your mom 'night for me." Dustin countered smoothly.
Sam breathed out a laugh. "Good night, Lucas! See you tomorrow."
Dustin glanced to Will, who lived closer to the Henderson's than anyone else. "Race back to my place? Winner gets a comic."
Will smiled mischievously. "Any comic?"
"Yeah." Dustin confirmed before the brunette boy stood, pedaling faster and getting a head start. Sam snorted, amused by his swiftness.
"Hey! Hey!" Dustin pedaled quicker to try and catch up to the obvious winner. "I didn't say 'go'!" Sam kicked her foot back and easily made it next to her furious brother.
"Get back here!" The Henderson boy tried again, despite knowing it wouldn't end well. "I'm gonna kill you!"
"I'll take your X-Men 134!" Will called behind his back once he zoomed by the house in question. Dustin and Sam slowed down.
"Good night, Will! Tell Johnny and Joy I said so too!" Sam cupped her hands around her mouth to make her voice louder.
"Will do!" She faintly heard the boy as he went farther and farther from the siblings and into the more secluded streets.
"Son of a bitch." Dustin groaned as he began to pull his bike to the garage. A sly, suspicious smirk suddenly appeared on his face.
"Hey! Don't you even think about taking my copy!" Sam realized what the look meant. She kicked the board into her hand and ran after Dustin when he just grinned back.
"Hey, you little shit! Get back here!" The older girl rushed after him and into the house. Once inside, both slowed down just enough as to not make much noise. The siblings tiptoed last their sleeping mother, who was sat on her chair with their new kitten, the TV still shining a bright light into the room.
"Go on to bed, I'm gonna shower." Sam whispered to a yawning Dustin. He nodded absentmindedly and shuffled off to his room.
The Henderson girl slowly shut off the TV and covered her mother with a blanket. A sigh escaped her lips at the sight before she turned and walked down the hall.

After a quick shower, Sam changed into her pajamas and walked to her brothers room. He laid out atop his bed, not even out of his jacket and shoes, dead asleep. Must have been a tiring campaign.
Sam slipped his shoes off and yanked the jacket off his back. Slowly, she turned him over and grabbed the blanket from under him, tucking it around his body while a snore rippled through his throat.
"Night, Dust. Sweet dreams." She mumbled and kissed his forehead lightly.
Shuffling across the hallway to her room, she too collapsed on her bed and was out as soon as her head hit the pillow. Unfortunately, neither of the Hendersons, or anyone for that matter, knew what horrors Will Byers was being thrown into. Or what would fall into place because of it.

episode one
the vanishing of will byers