episode twentynine

one month later

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

   ONE MONTH LATER AND IT WAS FINALLY BEGINNING TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN

"Since the release of the incendiary tape, the once quiet town of Hawkins, Indiana, has spent time in a place it never expected. The national spotlight. Under mounting pressure, several high ranking members from the U.S. Department of Energy have admitted involvement in the death and cover up of Hawkins resident, Barbara Holland, who died due to exposure to an experimental chemical Asphyxiant, which had leaked from the grounds of the lab." The news reporter spoke on the TV. Sam watched intently, as they covered the incidents. Of course, they couldn't tell the full truth, but at least the Holland family got their closure.

-

SAM GRUMBLED AS HER BROTHERS HEAVY FOOTSTEPS MOVED AROUND THE HOUSE.
"Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch!" Dustin ran around the house frantically.
"Where did you see it last?" Claudia watched as her son stormed by, a new kitten held in her hands.
"Right here. Where I put it." Dustin pointed to a spot on the counter.
"What's in it that's so important?" Their mother shrugged nonchalantly.
"Dust, I told you. It's behind the cat food." Sam poked her head out from her room.
"Aha! Thanks Sam!" Dustin ran back to her so she could finish up his look.
The doorbell rang and Claudia sighed. "That's your ride. Kids!"
"Okay, we gotta hurry." Sam pulled the spray from the bag and pushed her brother in front of the mirror.
After a few minutes of styling, she finally got it the way Dustin wanted it and they rushed to the door.

Pulling up in front of the school, Steve parked the car.
"Alright, buddy. Here we are." He looked inside through the windows.
"I still don't know why I'm banished to the back seat." Sam grumbled as she leaned forward. Dustin took a deep breath.
"Remember, once you get in there-" Steve started.
"Pretend like I don't care." The Henderson boy finished.
"You don't care." Steve repeated.
"I don't care." Dustin sighed.
"There you go. You're learning, my friend. You're learning." Steve nodded.
"Okay, no. Don't do that. Just complement her. Girls like that." Sam waved Harrington off. Dustin turned the rear view mirror and fiddled with his hair.
"Hey, come on." Steve sighed.
"What?" Dustin played dumb.
"You look great, okay? You look...you look great. Okay?" Steve waited for an answer before continuing. "Now, your gonna go in there..."
"Yeah." Dustin grew back some confidence.
"You look like a million bucks." Steve complemented.
"Yeah." Dustin nodded along.
"You're gonna slay'em dead." Steve told the boy.
"Like a lion." Dustin purred. Sam cringed.
"Don't do that." She chuckled softly.
"Okay." Her brother finally listened to her. Steve held out his hand and Dustin clasped his around it.
"Good luck." The Harrington teen wished.
"You look amazing, dude!" Sam called as her brother left the car. Sam quickly climbed into the passenger seat and watched with a smile as Dustin walked in. She glanced back at Steve, only to realize she was staring sadly at Nancy.
"Just go talk to her." Sam spoke up.
"What? No." Steve blew her off. "You going in? I thought you said you had to volunteer."
"I don't have to go." Sam reminded him. "I'm sure the boys would want me away for the night anyway."
"Alright, their loss." Steve changed the car to drive. "You hungry?"

-

AFTER THE DANCE, DUSTIN BURST INTO SAM'S ROOM.
"Hey dude. How was it?" Sam sat up on her bed.
"It was horrible at first. I couldn't get a girl to dance with me. Then, Nancy asked me to dance. I guess she saw me crying. And all those girls that rejected me got so jealous." He ranted.
"You were crying?" Sam furrowed her eyebrows. "What happened? Are you okay? Do I need to slap a child? I'll do it."
"No, no. I'm okay now." Dustin waved her off. "Nancy helped my mood go up. She said I was her favorite of Mikes friends and that I'd drive the girls crazy."
"Well of course you will." Sam played off him smoothly. "You are my brother after all. And look at you! How are they not falling to your feet already?"
Dustin shoved her arm. "So funny."
"I'm not kidding!" Sam shoved him back. "You're awesome, Dust. You just gotta believe that yourself."
"Thanks Sam." Dustin smiled softly.
"Yeah. Now, go get changed. It's getting too late. Even for me." Sam faked a yawn.
"Yeah, yeah." Dustin got up. "This year has been pretty fun."
"I think so too." Sam smiled sweetly. As Dustin began stumbling towards the hallway, he stopped short.
"Oh, Steve said goodnight by the way." He smiled obliviously and walked out. Sam fought the smile on her face.
"Dot forget to comb your hair out!" She called after him.

chapter twenty nine / season two finale
one month later