||17||

I flicked through the images

I flicked through the images. Images of people I didn't recognise at all, they were named by my written family members. There were images of me during training, images of me in the experiments. The brainwashing. Everything. It was all here.

"Agent Hill spent a long time finding all that information," Clint sat down next to me, "thoughts?"

"I don't..." I paused, "is this me? Is this who I am supposed to be?"

"Its not who you're supposed to be. It's who you are," he replied, "you don't need to fit yourself into a box and force yourself to consciously act like the you on this piece of paper. Think about that."

He stood up and walked back across the porch to where his daughter was lingering. He picked her up and walked back inside the building.

I frowned before looking down at the papers again.

"Don't... don't let go.."

The voice echoed through my head as I looked at the image of the man who was supposedly my father.

"Please! Daddy! Don't leave me! Don't leave me alone!"

I winced as a sharp pain shot through my head.

"OK let's stop thinking about that," I shut the folder and rubbed my head before closing my eyes and just listening to the peace in the area.

It was quiet.

It's never been quiet.

I've always been in loud spaces.

I've never felt this peace before. It's nice.

"Um-" the sound of Laura next to me caught my attention, I opened my eyes and looked to her, "you don't mind doubling up with our daughter, do you?"

"No," I shook my head, "but are you sure you want me to? I'm sure you've read the file too."

"I have," Laura nodded, "but I think deep down, you're not as bad as the file makes you out to be. There's a difference between paper and reality."

I watched her for a moment, waiting for something that could indicate she was lying, but nothing. There was nothing.

"Do you want to have a shower and get in a change of clothes?" she offered.

"Sure," I nodded, following her through the building and up to her and Clints bedroom, "Bruce and Natasha are in the other bathroom so you can use this one."

"Thank you," I thanked her as she passed me a towel and a change of clothes.

"No problem," she smiled before leaving the room. I turned and entered the bathroom and took the fastest shower I have ever taken because half way through the water began to turn ice cold.

I guess the hot water got used up.

Walking out of the bathroom, I found myself standing opposite to the kid.