||23||

Two days later_
New Avengers Facility_
Upstate New York_

Tony's PoV

"Good to see you again, Stark," Steve greeted me as I entered the building with the Secretary of State, Secretary Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross, by my side.

"Good to be seen," I nodded to him, "Good to see you too. Y/n here yet?"

"She didn't come with you?" Natasha asked, walking into the room.

"No," I shook my head, "said she'd drive in on her own. Boy, I'm not going to let her live this one down after she told me she has better time management than me."

"Sounds like you two have gotten close," Rhody smiled when he saw me, "long time no see, huh, Tony?"

"Yes it has," I nodded, "and yes we have. She's quite fun to have around. Always challenging me. One minute."

I pulled my phone out and dialled y/n's number before putting it to my ear.

I was just met with her voicemail.

"We should start the meeting now," Secretary Ross told me, "I'm sure you can catch y/n up when she gets here."

"Yeah," I nodded, "she's probably just stuck in traffic. Roads are crazy this time of day."

We all turned and took our seats around the conference table.

Secretary Ross took to the head of the table, placing his brief case down on the table before beginning his talk.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack," he announced.

Starting off strong. I guess.

"And dropped right in the middle of my backswing," he swung his arm back like he was playing golf, "turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

This speech needs some perspective.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt, you have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heros.." he trailed off slightly, ".. There are some who would prefer the word 'vigilante'."

"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about dangerous?" he answered, "what would you call a group of US based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

I glanced to the door as someone walked past and found myself frowning slightly as it was just an average joe passing by. Not y/n.

Focusing on Secretary Ross again, I watched as the screen behind him changed to the map of the world, he walked and stood to the side of it.

It zoomed in.

"New York," Secretary Ross stated before video clips of the chitauri attack showed up, "Washington DC."

Next up were the destruction of the S.H.I.E.L.D ships, I wasn't there for that one and I'm sure if I was, it may have ended a bit cleaner but they did good despite not having a genius to help.

"Sokovia," he stated and the very familiar image of the land being flown into the sky appeared, "Lagos."

A recent Avengers mode of destruction caused by Steve and his new team a couple days ago.

"OK," Steve spoke up, "that's enough."

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision," Secretary Ross began, "that's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."