50.

50.

The Games

--

Annabeth POV

"Sad, isn't it?"

I looked up and saw Triton holding a Starbucks drink for me.

I took is gratefully and he pulled out a chair and sat down beside me.

It was about 9 in the morning, and I just couldn't sleep so I decided to get up and walk around the hotel and look for breakfast.

I was currently eating Froot Loops and looking at pictures on my phone.

Percy was still sleeping. He had told me he wasn't feeling well because of the chemo so I told him to take it easy, since he had a game later today.

"What?"

"His cancer," Triton said, looking out the window.

"What do you think?" I snapped.

Triton held up his hands in defense. "Chill out, girl."

I sighed. "I just hate that he's suffering."

Triton was silent for a few minutes, and when he spoke, it was low and quiet. "He used to take care of me, you know."

I looked at him, startled. "Huh?"

"When our dad died. I would cry myself to sleep every night. That was before we moved, of course. Percy was always at our place. I was 13 and he was 10. Funny, right? But he and dad didn't get along very well... and... well he slowly started to detest him. He loved Tyson, of course. Me? Not so much. But when he noticed that I cried every night, he would sit with me, by my bed until I finished crying myself to sleep."

Triton looked up at me. "Dads are supposed to be there to stop tears, not cause them, you know?"

I nodded.

"I didn't like that I was weaker than he was, so one night, I snapped at him. I yelled at him. I told him that it was a wonder that Dad didn't like him. He was so annoying. I told him things I shouldn't have. He was 10. He was only trying to help. But I was selfish. I shut him out and when he needed me... I didn't help."

That would explain Percy's coldness towards Triton.

"Some things never change, do they?" Triton asked softly.

"Some things stay the same," I agreed.

"He's a good kid," Triton said finally. "Too good for this to be happening to him."

I agreed.

"Annabeth!" a familiar voice called behind me.

I turned around, a full-blown smile on my face. "Piper! Silena! Thalia!"

"Who's this?" Thalia asked, wiggling her eyebrows at Triton. "Are you-?"

"I have a girlfriend," Triton cut in.

I slapped her for thinking about that. "No. This is Triton; Percy's half-brother."

Thalia's face turned into a frown. "You."

"Charming as always, Thalia," Triton greeted.

Thalia went forward and slapped him across the face. "He was always there for you," she half yelled; half whispered. "And you couldn't even do the same!"

Triton gave a weak smile. "I deserved that."

"Yes, you did," Thalia said. "I'd do it again if people weren't watching."