53.

53.

The Birthday Party

-⁛-

Percy POV

I woke up feeling crappier than ever. 

My back was so sore from the days of bed rest and I was so tired. I winced as I sat up, ignoring the sudden pain that flared in my chest. 

I groaned, not wanting to get out of bed. 

"Pwercy?" Estelle asked, entering my room and climbing onto my bed.

"Hmm?" I asked. 

"Me wantwed to gwive you thwis," she said, handing me a card. 

I smiled gratefully. "Thanks, Stelly." 

She was watching me, so I sighed and opened to card. 

There, in her messy writing, was a note:

You are the bwest bwothwer in the whole wide world. I wuv you. 

I smiled and pulled her into a hug. "I love you too, Stelly."

She smiled and motioned for me to turn the page. 

Gwet bwetter swoon so we cwan stweal bwue cwookies, okie?

I laughed and then gasped, clutching my chest. 

"Pwercy?" Estelle asked, concern laced in her voice.

"I'm fine," I gritted out. I forced a smile. "Got it, Estelle. Why don't you go steal some blue cookies and we can eat it right now?"

Estelle's face brightened. "Okie!"

She flounced out of the room and my mom came in. 

"Hey, honey, how are you feeling?"

"Fine," I answered. 

She ran a hand through my sweaty hair. "Just a little longer, sweetie. You made it so far."

"I hope so."

"At least it's getting better," my mom said. "At least you're not gonna die."

"You don't know that," I argued. "A lot can go wrong with surgery."

"We look on the bright side, Percy."

I sighed and said quietly, "Sometimes I wish I was dead." I didn't need to look up to see her face pale. "I know it's so selfish of me because there are so many people who care about me. But sometimes I just wish I could end it. Right here and right now. I wouldn't have to tolerate the pain any longer."

I heard my mom let out a shaky breath as she pulled me into a hug. "I'm so proud of you, Percy. You've made it so far. I know the fates haven't always been the best to you. But you made it. And I'm so proud of you for being a survivor. Your father would've been proud too."

I could hear myself scoff. "He wanted to get rid of me."

My mom's eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

I scowled. "Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. I heard him. His exact words were: 'He's a failure. We both know that, Sally. He fails every class, gets into too many fights. We can't keep going like this. Send him to foster care. He's nothing but a failure; a waste of space, time, money, and effort.'"

My mom's eyes went larger - I didn't even know it was possible, but they did. "Oh, sweetie. He didn't mean it like that."

"That's exactly how he meant it," I snapped. "And you obviously agreed with him."