The broken bridge

As Nellie walked into the kitchen she was surprised to see Sweeney Todd sitting at the booth with a glass of water. Normally he didn't come.downstairs until their break from work or until night when they were done with work. Nellie still had the dream in the back of her mind and having him sit there wasn't helping her get the memory out of her head. She gave him a confused look before speaking.

"You're up early" she stated quietly, not wanting to wake the kids. "I couldn't sleep" he mumbled, "bad dream?" She asked as she began to wipe the counter. He lightly smiled "something like that."

Instead of asking him what he meant, she just let it go. Who knows what goes on inside of that man's mind? Toby and Johanna happily entered the room "morning kids" Nellie happily greeted them before grabbing her coat "Sweeney I'm going on a walk before I have to open in a few hours. Could you make them breakfast?" He tilted his head and started at her for a moment, she sighed "you don't know how to cook do you?"

He looked away, "not really" he mumbled like a child. But this gave Johanna an idea on how to get them to spend time together "I can make it, and tonight dad you should help mrs.Lovett cook dinner so you'll learn how to." Johanna quickly told them with a smile, Toby smiled too realizing what she was up to. "Uhm..alright" Sweeney said, after thinking for a few minutes. "Thank you Johanna" Nellie whispered before heading out of the shop, she seemed to be in a rush.

Sweeney Todd was a bit curious as to where she was going. Especially since she was in such a hurry and doesn't take walks this early, but he didn't give it much thought.

Nellie sat in the carriage for about fifteen minutes before reaching her destination. After paying the coachmen, she began to walk. Nellie had him drop her off near the woods where she used to go with Benjamin. The spot where the grass ended and the woods began was a little less than a mile away from her old house, but she didn't want to go there. Slowly, she walked through the woods, she hadn't come here in years, but the dream about Benjamin that she had last night gave her the desire to. But now it was different, she didn't have a best friend by her side holding her hand as she walked, she wasn't as happy as she used to be. Nellie wasn't depressed, but there was an emptiness inside of her that had been brewing up for years. The worst part was she didn't know the cause, she didn't know why she was empty and she couldn't figure out what she wanted. Walking through the woods did make her feel better though, it was refreshing and there weren't any other people around.

Eventually Nellie came across a familiar tree, the one that she and Benjamin would sit on together and climb together. Naturally by looking at it, a memory consumed her mind.

*Flash back*-(Nellie and Benjamin sat together in a beautiful tree hidden in the depths of the forest. They enjoyed each other's company like nothing else, they were always together. "Yeh know something Nell?" Benjamin spoke softly "hmm?" She looked up, being pulled out of her thoughts. "Only we know this place. No one else ever steps foot into this forest." He whispered as if it were a huge secret. She smiled "good, then this will be our place. Our special spot" Benjamin nodded "yeah, just us."-)

Nellie blinked a couple of times, since when did she get flashbacks? That conversation completely left her mind until now, oh God what time was it? She still had work to do, maybe now it was best to go home.

At work her mind was elsewhere. All day she kept making mistakes and tripping and things like that. By the end of the day she had bruises on her legs and a bruise on her face but that bruises never really bothered her. Embarrassment was her main concern, she couldn't wait until the work day was over.

Sweeney on the other hand, killed quite a few customers which was very satisfactory for him. At the end of the day he remembered he was going to help Nellie make dinner. So after changing his blood soaked shirt and rinsing off, he went downstairs. When he saw her he was shocked and curious, why did she have a bruise on her cheek?