Happy birthday, Toby!

"Guys this is so boring can we please just go home?" Toby pleaded to Johanna and Anthony, who dragged him out to some art show at the market. There were tons of paintings and drawings on tables for people to look at, and some of them were up for sale. The paintings were nice, some of them were very intriguing, it wasn't that Toby didn't like the art. But Johanna and Anthony made him come with them to the market two hours ago, and they were still there. How much art could they possibly look at? Not to mention today is Toby's birthday, and everyone in his family forgot. No one said happy birthday to him when he woke up, not even his mum, which surprised Toby the most.

He wasn't upset or mad at them though, he understood people forget things. But on his birthday he'd rather be out with Christine or at home eating cake than at the market looking at paintings for two hours.

"Soon Toby, we promise. I just want to buy a few more things," Johanna told him, checking her watch for the time. "Thirty more minutes," she thought to herself. Nellie and Sweeney were at home getting everything for Toby's surprise party set up, they told Anthony and Johanna to keep Toby out of the house for 2 and a half hours just to be safe. They had to bake the cake, make lunch for everyone, get the house decorated, people needed to show up, everything needed to be perfect.

"You've already purchased half the market!" Toby exclaimed, tired of walking around seeing the same exact carts that are there every day. Johanna already bought a painting, earrings, a new pair of shoes, and two new books to read. How much more could she possibly want?!

"We're leaving really soon Toby," Anthony told him, patting him on the back. Anthony reached into his pocket and pulled out a few coins "here, go get something for yourself."

     ~~

"Nellie the cake is ready!" Sweeney called, carefully taking the cake out of the oven.

Nellie came rushing into the kitchen, grabbing the vanilla icing to spread onto the chocolate cake. She peered down at the cake, frowning slightly.
"Do you think we kept it in the oven too long? Or maybe not long enough? Maybe I added too much flour. Something doesn't look right."

Sweeney rolled his eyes, she did this all of the time. She'd make something delicious and then stare at it until she hated it. Finding every little wrong detail about it that she possibly could. "Nell the cake looks and smells wonderful, he's gonna love it." He kissed her temple, putting his arm around her shoulders.

Nellie still wasn't very sure, but there wasn't any time to make a whole new cake so this one would have to do. She began spreading on the vanilla icing, trying to make it look as perfect and appealing as she possibly could. "People are gonna start arriving any minute." She told him, handing him a pile of plates so he'd set the table. After doing so, he made sure the Happy Birthday! banner he put up previously that morning was still properly hanging in the shop.

After putting fifteen little candles on the cake Nellie hid it in one of the cubboards so they could reveal it to Toby when it was time to sing. She walked around the downstairs of the house, making sure everything was in place. The banner was up, the table was set, multicolored balloons were placed all over the downstairs. Candles were lit in each room to make everything bright and cheery, she smiled to herself, they actually got everything done on time. The cleaning, the decorating, the baking. Everything was all set up and ready to go.

When Todd came back into the shop he was immediately embraced by the small baker. She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, kissing his cheek "we're done." She squealed happily, "everything looks great!"

Sweeney couldn't help but smile and laugh at her excitement, finding it adorable. He was also happy they actually pulled it off and Toby would have a nice party. Toby was such a great kid, he deserved to have the day be all about him.