Autumn

One month later

Sweeney Todd was in a rare, particularly good mood this morning. He woke up early, cleaned up his shop, just finished up with his sixth customer of the day and was now polishing his favorite razor. Yes, he picked favorites. The one with a certain engraving on it happened to be his favorite, it was the first one he'd ever gotten. Today was a strangely busy day for his barber shop, he didn't know why but business seemed to be thriving. Not that he was complaining at all. He turned around with a smile to greet his next customer as he heard the bell above his shop door ring, but instead it was Nellie who stormed in. A nervous look spread across her gorgeous features. He was happy to see her since earlier this morning when he went down for breakfast she wasn't there, and none one the kids knew where she'd gone.

Sweeney noticed she seemed to be troubled by something, but he couldn't help smiling at the sight of her anyway. "Hey, where 'ave you been all morning?" He walked to her and wrapped his strong arms around her small waist, pecking her lips. "I've missed you."

Nellie smiled up at him and relaxed into his hold "I've been fixing up my parent's old house."

"You mean the one I've already fixed up?" He chuckled and smirked down at her, not fully understanding what she meant.

"Yes, smartass, that one. But I've been working on the inside of the house. Cleaning the floors and windows, getting new sheets and blankets for the beds, that sort of thing." She explained, though this wasn't the reason she came up here. She needed to talk to him about something far more important than bedsheets right now.

"I see, but why? You're not thinking of selling, are you?"

"No, of course not. The kids aren't getting any younger and not too far from now Anthony and Johanna will be moving out. I figure it'd be nice to have the house as an option for any of the kids. Plus, during the summers we could stay there sometimes." It certainly would be nice to get away from Fleet street occasionally. Especially during the summer. How wonderful it would feel to breathe in the fresh clean air, away from everyone else, with just the clear blue skies above. They could set up a table in the backyard and eat outside on some days. At night the skies would be so clear and bright, just like when she and Sweeney were young. She could already picture it. Her and Sweeney sitting outside together on a warm summer night, looking at the stars, enjoying the soft breeze. Realising she was getting ahead of herself, Nellie snapped out of her distracting thoughts and reminded herself of the real reason she came up to the barber shop in the first place.

She gulped nervously and reluctantly met his eyes, her voice quiet when she spoke "I need to talk to you." She told him, her voice barely audible. Sweeney noticed her change in tone, and he saw her fiddling with the fabric on her dress. Something she always did when she was upset or anxious.

"Wot's the matter?" He asked, concern very apparent in his tone.

"I think you should sit down." She said, glancing over to his chair. This statement did nothing to reassure him, in fact it only made him worry more. Without a word, Sweeney plopped himself down into his barber chair, ready for whatever it was she needed to say. Nellie began to pace nervously in front of him, sighing to herself.

"Nell, wot is it?"

"I'm two weeks late." She finally blurted out, coming to a stop to stand right in front of him. Sweeney's eyes grew wide, he didn't need to ask her to specify what she meant. He was sure he knew.

Just in case there was any possibility he had the wrong idea, he needed to clarify. "You uhm . . . you mean late as in the monthly cycle . . ." He stopped mid sentence when she nodded her head. Todd could do nothing but stare at her. Glancing between her eyes and her stomach, he attempted not to but he seemed to be able to do nothing else, he was speechless.