Chapter 63: Rescue and Revenge

Sara could see nothing of her dark surroundings as Smaug landed with a heavy thump, stumbling a bit on three legs. He still held her in his talons as he ambled about in the dark, turning in circles before finally settling down. His grip on her loosened but did not let go. She waited for something... anything to happen. Nothing. At last, she could remain silent no longer.

"Where are we?"

"Where else would a dragon return but to his hoard."

There was a sudden brilliant plume of flame overhead that illuminated the room or rather cavern. The space was at least the size of several football stadiums. Scattered over the stone floor and mounted up in great piles lay heaps of untold treasure; glimmering gold, glistening gems of every shape and hew, and glowing metal wrought and unwrought. Light blinked back at Sara from every corner of the room as if some enormous glitter bomb had exploded.

"Rare and wonderful is it not," said Smaug, settling himself more comfortably on the gold as the light began to fade. Drawing her close to his chest he released his hold on her. His scales scraped across the clinking gold as he tucked his tail under his chin so his long body circled the space in which she stood.

"I...I didn't know there was this much... treasure in all the world," she stammered.

"A dwarf's greed and ambition to seek treasure know no bounds." The glow from his mouth eliminated the red and gold scales on his body as he spoke. "Neither does the greed or ambition of a dragon to possess it."

Looking around Sara can see why Thorin and the others were motivated to drive Smaug out, or anyone for that matter. Obviously, there were other powerful motivating factors, but the monetary gain alone was unfathomable. Wars had been fought for much much less.

"And you wonder why Thorin and the others seek revenge," she muttered under her breath, still examining the room despite the dragon before her.

"Not at all," replied Smaug, not catching her sarcasm. "I know all too well why Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, would seek revenge. I still relish the crunch of dwarf bone between my teeth along with the sweet gush of warm blood."

Sara's stomach turned over and her head swam as she remembered the room of skulls. So many lives have been needlessly lost and Smaug spoke as if it were simply the breakfast menu at a diner and he was recommending a particular dish. And all for the lust of gold. Looking around the room again its contents seem to glitter a little less.

"Pondering your demise?" asked Smaug with a sanguine purr. "Your complexion is a shade of green."

"No," she lied. She hadn't been before but with his toothy grin aimed in her direction, she was now. The floor below her rumbled as Smaug chuckled.

"It's no use lying to me. It's written across your face. You fear death."

"Most do, but I was worried about the others."

"As well you should. They will come, though I very much doubt if you will be the reason. No, they shall come for me. For revenge and for gold, for what could they value more than this vast treasure. Your company of dwarves shall make a fine meal and when the dwarf king fails in his mission there will be no others who dare attempt it again."

"Won't you starve eventually?" she asked bitterly, kicking at the coins beneath her feet. "There can't possibly be enough food to sustain you long term."

"Dragons need only eat every fifty years or so if we are primarily dormant. Even without your little group's intrusion into my home, my growing appetite would have woken me soon. I was only too pleased to find six fat ponies just waiting for consumption. Delicious mouthfuls."