Chapter 11: Assessment

In which Sara is assessed.

Due to the company not sleeping the previous night, Thorin allowed them to spend the day in the troll camp to rest and recuperate. The troll hoard had provided them with enough food for a day or two, even if the Ale would not last till lunch if Bofur had anything to say about it. It seemed that every time Sara saw him that morning he had a mug in his hand, but at least he was a cheery drunk. The horde had also included a few objects of great value, not the least of which were several small chests of gold, which Gloin and Nori had buried saying something to dwalin about making a long term deposit. The greatest prizes were however the new swords that hung from Gandalf and Thorns hips. Even Bilbo seemed to have acquired a weapon. Bilbo had showed the small elvish blade to Sara when she asked about it, telling her that Gandalf had insisted that he take it, as it could be used as a warning for goblins and orcs.

They set up camp, ate breakfast, and then most slept, a few of the dwarves taking turns keeping watch. It was late in the afternoon when Sara I woke again and rejoined the group. Bombur was happily tending to the fire and Bofur lounged nearby nursing his mug while chatting with Bilbo who seemed quite happy. Dwalin was over by the ponies talking to Nori. Much of the camp was still asleep and it seemed that Fili was still angry at her, for when Sara went to sit beside the two brothers who were under the tree talking quietly, he got up and left without a word to her.

"He's still mad at me isn't he?" Sara asked, sitting down beside Kili who was pulling up blades of grass. He nodded. "Should I say something to him?"

"Not yet" said Kili. "He's still pretty.... what did you call it.... ticked? Yeah he's still ticked." Sara sighed and they sat in silence for a few minutes before he spoke again. "I don't like being caught in the middle," he confessed.

"Would you rather be with him? I don't mind. He is your brother after all." Kili looked at her testing her sincerity. "Are you sure?" he asked.

"I'm sure. I can hang out with Bilbo." she said. He wrinkled his nose

"Hang out? You sometimes say some very strange things Mistress Miller."

"Yeah because dealing with cranky dwarves and trolls it part of my everyday routine too," she said wrinkling her nose back at him. "Go on, I will be fine. I don't want to cause trouble between you two." He gave her hand a quick squeeze before following after his brother. Sara leaned back against the tree wondering how long Fili would be upset with her. She didn't regret sticking up for Bilbo, but she knew she had offended and embarrassed Fili and she wished she could take back her words. It was in this despondent mood that Dwalin found her some minutes later.

"Here now, where are your two shadows?" he asks standing before her arms crossed.

"Not shadowing today I guess. Fili is mad at me and rather than get between them I sent Kili after him."

"I see," he hummed. "Then I guess they won't be missing you for the time being."

"I suppose not," she said flicking a pebble in the dirt. Dwalin sighed.

"Come with me lass," he said reaching out a hand and pulling her to her feet.

"Okay, but where are we going?" she questioned dusting off her pants. He didn't reply. Sara followed him from camp and through the woods until they reached a sandy clearing and he turned to face her.

"So what are we doing here?"

"Training lass," he said as he reached behind a tree and pulled out two staffs of wood that looked as though he had only recently vested them of their leaves and branches. He saw her expression.