Chapter 31: Challenge Accepted

In which the company works and a challenge is issued.

"Kili!" cried Sara, trying to pull her hand free from Thorin's, but he held her fast covering her mark as they came to kneel beside the princes.

"What happened?" demanded Thorin.

"I don't know," said Fili, laying Kili out straighter. "He was fine a minute ago. He just collapsed." Thorin pressed the back of Sara's hand firmly to her thigh before lifting Kili off the ground, shaking him slightly.

"Kili," he called. No response. "Kili!" Kili's head flopped around on his shoulders before his chin came to rest on his chest.

"What's wrong with him uncle?" asked Fili, gripping fistfuls of the grass at his knees. It was quiet for a moment until Kili gave a soft snore and they all looked at him in surprise.

"Is he…?" asked Fili.

"Asleep," finished Thorin, laying him down in the grass and crossing his arms. "But what brought this on so suddenly, and why will he not wake?"

"Oh crap," mutterd Sara. They looked to her. "He may have had too much benadryl." The sound of wood being chopped resumed as Beorn placed another log on the block, his back glistening with sweat as he swung his axe down. Gandalf and Bilbo crowded in around them.

"Too much what?" asked Thorin.

"Benadryl," repeated Sara. "It's the medicine I gave him for his hand. I forgot it can pack quite a punch, especially the first time you take it."

"Will he be okay?" asked Bilbo bending to press his hand to Kili's forehead.

"He should be. I was careful to only give him half of the daily dose allowed for a person my size, and Kili weighs more than I do. I guess dwarves just don't handle modern medicine very well."

"When will he wake," asked Thorin.

"I'm not sure… a few hours. Who knows?"

Thorin sighed heavily. "Fili, take him back to the others and tell them to wait there until we come to get them." Fili nodded and scooped up Kili disappearing the way they had come as the rest of them got to their feet. Beorn had set aside his axe and sat on the large stump in the middle of the courtyard. A large shaggy dog rose from where it lay in the shade of the house and came to rest its head in the large man's lap. The dogs coat had once been a dark black but was now peppered with white and gray hairs, and he walked with a slight limp.

"Now as I was saying," began Gandalf.

"I don't much care for what you were saying," cut in Beorn. "In fact I don't much care for any of you." He patted the dog affectionately and it came to sit in front of them, watching them with intelligent eyes. "I don't like visitors, least of all suspicious begging ones. Now be gone. Away with you and your troubles."

"But we have nowhere else to go," insisted Sara, hiding her hands behind her back.

"That is no concern of mine," said Beorn, not bothering to look up as he stood picking up his axe and split a log as big around is a pony's belly. "Get out!" Sara's heart sank. What would they do now? This had been their best hope, for they had almost nothing and still such a long way to go.