Chapter 23: Revilation

In which the company has Battle Strategy Training and Sara gets quite a shock.

The sixth day from Rivendell began a marked change in their surroundings. The company continued to ascend into the mountains and soon they rose above the timberline and out onto the great bald rocks that topped the mountains. They were now so high in fact, that they began to see snow in the shadows of the rocks, and on the faces of the mountains that seldom saw sunlight. That night they had camped near a rather large patch of snow which was littered with large boulders. Having caught Sara looking particularly down and distracted Dwalin had suggested they try something new for training that night. He called it Battle Strategy Training and when Sara asked what that was he had replied by scooping up a handful of snow and lobbing it at Thorin's head. Sara drew in a breath and held it, wondering how Thorin would react.

The days since leaving Rivendell had been different then their time on the road from the Shire. The difference that Sara could note was mostly a change in Thorin, for he no longer held himself aloof from the group, but joined in the conversations, sharing in the laughter and joy of the others. He was less broodish and quicker to smile, even around Sara and Bilbo who he had never talked to unnecessarily before Rivendell. So how would this new Thorin react to Dwalin; she felt if anyone could get away with it, it would be the warrior. Thorin turned to face them shaking snow from his hair scowling. Dwalin said something to him in dwarvish and Thorin eyed them for a minute before his scowl turned into a smirk and he nodded. Fili and Kili whooped and several of the others grinned. Before Sara could react Dwalin had scooped her up and tossed her over his shoulder as he, Nori, and some of the others jogged to the large rocks at one end of the snow field. Sara spotted File and Kili hauling off a protesting Bilbo in the opposite direction towards Thorin, Dori, Ori and Gloin who were hiding in the rocks on the other end of the field.

"What are we doing?" asked Sara when Dwalin had set her down and Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur had joined them.

"I told you lass, Battle Strategy Training," he said packing snowballs.

"Really," she said skeptically. "Because it looks like you're trying to start a snowball fight."

"A snowball battle," corrected Nori packing his own ammo. "For the sake of strategy training."

"Well are there rules or objectives to this Battle Strategy Training," she asked, pulling the winter gloves Kili had swiped for her out of her coat pocket.

"No rules Ms. Sara," said Bombur. "The only objective is to take a prisoner and get them back to your camp."

"Okay," she nodded. "So who are we trying to capture?"

"Mr. Baggins of course," said Bofur peering up over the top of the rocks and getting a snowball to the face. They heard Kili cheer.

"And who are they trying to get?" she asked. Bifur grinned and pointed at her. "Me?" she yelped.

"Aye lass," said Dwalin throwing several balls in succession before turning his attention to her. "Keep yer guard up and don't let them take ya. Ya can use any means necessary to get away." A volley of snowballs dropped down on their heads which was soon returned under Dwalin's instruction. This back-and-forth continued for several minutes. "Nori can ya see Fili or Kili? asked Dwalin ducking behind the rocks again as a projectile flew above his tattooed head.

Nori who was perched in the rocks behind and above them shook his head. "No. They are not at their base," Dwalin swore under his breath.