Chapter 3: Home Invasion

Sara waited for a few minutes, trying to give Bilbo and Gandalf a chance to speak before she walked quietly to the kitchen. But for the second time that day, she came to an abrupt halt just outside the arched doorway. There was indeed someone seated at the little table in the kitchen... but it was not Gandalf.

For one thing, the person at the table was too short to be the wizard and he was dressed all wrong. This person's appearance suggested something of a fighter if the scars on his arms or the axes strapped to his hip were anything to go by. His broad back was to her but she could see the top of his head was shaved smooth and marked with tattoos as were his wrists and knuckles. As he turned his head to take in his surroundings she could see the hair on the sides of his head melded seamlessly into his impressive facial hair. If she had seen him on earth she would have expected him to be decked out in black leather and straddling a Harley motorbike.

She backed slowly away from the kitchen's arched doorway, trying to make no sound, but nearly bumped into Bilbo who had a large cooked chicken and a basket of rolls in his arms. Dodging around her he entered the kitchen and placed the food on the table.

"I'm sorry it's not hot. I'm afraid it was not expecting guests quite yet," said Bilbo. "Is there anything else I can get for you? Would you like a drink?"

"Some ale if ya have any," said the bald man, reaching for the chicken and tearing off both legs.

Bilbo bobbed his head. "Certainly, one moment please." He came back through the doorway almost bumping into her again.

"Who's that?" she asked in a whisper, watching the man in the kitchen. Bilbo shrugged slightly, looking helpless.

"I'm not sure," he confessed. "I answered the door and he just came in saying he was ready for supper. Excuse me a moment." Ever the gracious host he continued past her toward the pantry. Sara inched forward again and peered around the corner watching the man as he ate.

"I know yer there lass. Quit skulking in the doorway and come round where I can see ya," said his gruff voice. Cheeks burning, Sara edged around the table and came to stand in front of the sink. The man eyed her cautiously, taking her in without so much as blinking. "Who might ya be? Gandalf said nothing about there being a woman livin here." Sara watched him, her fingers fidgeting with the zipper on her heavy cargo pants. Zip...zip...zip.

"I don't live here." He frowned.

"Then what are ya doing here?" She shrugged, unsure how or if she should answer.

"Do you know Gandalf?" she asked at length, trying to break the awkward silence. He took a large bite of chicken and nodded. "Is he coming tonight?" He nodded again, not looking away from her.

"Why?" he asked, around a mouth full of food.

"I need to speak to him. He should know how to help me." He reached for a biscuit, buttered it, and shoved the whole thing into his mouth watching her while he chewed.

"Yer in some kind of trouble?" he asked, sucking the chicken fat off his thumb. She nodded. "What kind of trouble?"

"I'm not entirely sure," she admitted. She was also not entirely sure she wanted to say.

"He'll be here tonight," he said, reaching for another biscuit. "Though a wizard is just as apt to get one into trouble as out." He glanced down at her bare feet. "Yer no halfling that's for sure. What are ya doing in Hobbiton?"

"I got lost," she admitted. He snorted.

"Ya must have wandered quite far. Yer short for a human. What's yer name lass?"