Chapter 35: Action

Okay so sorry it took me a bit longer to update. My twin sons decided that it was time to redecorate the playroom... I found them peeling up the old wallpaper so I had a few days of home improvement to catch up on. Luckily it was something we were planing on doing anyway and they were so cute when I caught them at it. Okay I went back and made a few minor edits. They pertain to the hank of hair Azog ripped from Sara's head and the heat of the blade he used to brand her... I will put them below if you are interested but if not feel free to skip ahead. They are just there for continuity. 

EDITS:

Burning. Something was burning. A searing heat in her left arm registered in her mind and she woke screaming for the second time that day. She was laying on her back and a heavy weight pressed down on her chest and arm. The heat retreated. She opened her eyes and saw the white orc looming over her, kneeling, one knee on her chest and the other on her arm. He held a knife in his hand and she could see the heat radiating off the blade ripple the cool air around it. She watched in horror as he pressed the flat of the searing blade once again to the underside of her arm just above the wrist. She screamed again, writhing, trying to break free but her legs were bound at the ankles and knees. She hit and scratched him with her free hand but he seemed not to notice as he continued to burn her. When she tried to reach for his hand containing the knife, he caught her hand and trapped it against the ground with his claw pushing it into the dirt, and shifted the hot blade on her arm branding her further. Her screams and struggles gradually gave way to silent tears and stillness when it became clear she could not escape. Instead she focused on blocking out the pain burning through her as much as she could. He branded down her wrist and after removing the glove on her left hand, proceeded to burn her palm, speaking not a word till he began on her right arm.

She remained in her underwear and after removing the few items she could still call hers from her bra and tucking them into her shoe she slipped into the water reveling in the heat seeping into her weary muscles. Unfortunately, the heat only aggravated her burns and it was a very careful and painful process as she worked to clean herself. She splashed her face and the water came away pinked. Her fingers searched for the source of her blood and she winced as she found the raw flesh behind her right ear where the braid had been ripped from her. After a while she was finished and relaxed into the pool, her arms stretched out to the sides on the rock at her back.

Fili studied Sara's face and frowned. "What happened to your braid?" he asked. She reached down the front of her shirt and pulled out the small braid which had begun to come undone and held it out to him. He took it frowning and after examining it for a moment reached for her. She bent over him as he brushed aside her wavy hair to see the raw spot where the braid had resided. "Who did this to you?" he asked darkly his fingers gently probing. "And what happened to you? Where did you go when we fell into the goblin town? What happened to your arms? Why are they bandaged? How did Azog get your coat? Why..."

"I don't," she said, finally working free the last of the knots in Fili's hair. He pulled her to sit in front of him so he could tend to her hair, being careful of the sore patch behind her ear while she held Bofur's hat in her lap. "I mean not really. I learned some of the basics at summer camp as a kid but I'm not a trained professional or anything."

"Clearly," he said gesturing towards his shoulder as he led her from the nest. "We will have Oin tend to your arms." After he had located the healer and situated Sara near the warm fire, he left to find Gandalf to inquire about the day's events. Soon she had a fresh bandage and the soothing balm had been reapplied, the aching in her arms greatly diminished though not altogether dispelled. Oin had looked over her burns once again and while he said there was no sign of infection, much to Sara's relief, he also informed her that she was sure to carry the scars for the rest of her life. She showed him the patch behind her ear and he said that there was a chance she would never grow hair there again only time would tell.