Chapter 64: Home at Last

"Oy, one could get right turned about in this place," puffed Bofur, hiking Bilbo further onto his back.

Sara couldn't help but agree. She didn't remember anything after her wild sliding descent down the mountain of treasure with Smaug at her back until she had woken to see Bilbo, Bofur, and Airidan peering down at her. She had been unconscious for some time and Airidan had finally resorted to the little healing magic he knew to bring her around. She had peppered them with questions and they had answered them to the best of their ability. They had debated if they should wait for the others to come find them or set out in search of the company. Eventually, the need to do something had driven them to action. They made their way through the empty halls of Erebor, moving in the light cast by the elven lamp Bilbo held aloft. They were following a string of lit torches and the trail of fresh destruction hoping to reunite with the others. Had they been walking for minutes, hours, days perhaps? All Sara knew was that she was sick of the oppressive dark and ready to see the sun and open sky again.

"It is quite boggling," sighed Bilbo. "I only hope we are getting close. I could use a rest and I'm anxious to know what's become of the others. It's been quiet for far too long."

"Yer tired," said Bofur, cocking an eyebrow and glancing over his shoulder at the hobbit. "Who's carrying who?"

"How are your legs?" asked Sara.

"Healing but still tender," lamented Bilbo. They were silent for a moment.

"Do you think they're all right? " asked Sara, biting her lip.

"No sense worrying over that which has already occurred," said Airidan. "Once we find the others we shall find the truth of events."

"I only hope we don't find a live dragon at the end of this trail," said Bofur.

An unease settled in Sara's stomach at the thought and she glanced behind them looking for a pair of large glowing eyes that she was sure to remember for the rest of her life. There was nothing but the enveloping darkness. She stumbled forward, her foot catching on a bit of rubble. Airidan caught her elbow, steadying her.

"Thanks," she said, wincing as an exaggerated throb pulsed through her head with the sudden movement.

"How is the pain?" inquired Airidan, studying her face with concern.

"Well I don't think my head is in danger of dropping from my shoulders, but it's safe to say this is one of the worst headaches I've ever had."

"May I examine you once again? Just to be sure the swelling has not worsened, or the gash to bleed." She nodded and he stepped forward probing her head with his nimble fingers. "You really should see a proper healer. My skills in the art of healing are meager at best," he said with an apologetic smile. "I'm afraid my skills lay in combat. Is it painful to walk?"

"A little," she admitted. If she were telling the truth her head throbbed with every step and she was only just fighting back the stinging heat in the corners of her eyes.

"You look pale," he said with a frown. "Your wound did bleed considerably. Would you allow me to carry you?"

"I'm not sure how that would help my head and I don't want to slow you down."

"Please allow me. My gate is much less jarring than your own," he said, reaching gently to scoop her into his arms. Her first instinct was to resist but it only took a few moments rest for her body to realize just how tired she truly was. Her muscles ached and her body was filled with a bone-deep sense of exhaustion. Airidan and Bofur resumed their trek and Sara was once again amazed at how smoothly an elf could move about.