Chapter 21: Council and Escape

There was so much to think over and hardly a moment to spare as Sara had followed Lady Galadriel across Elrond's gardens and up into a small round pavilion set high on a balcony. Water poured from the falls above surrounding them like curtains of clear crystal that glinted the moonlight. The lady said nothing, simply gesturing for Sara to sit before moving to look out over Rivendell. Sara sank gratefully into a chair at the round stone table, elbows on the tabletop, her head in her hands. Her feet were bare and cool on the stone floor below her, contrasting the blaze in her mind as it hummed with the revelations from the mirror.

What did it all mean? She could guess why the mirror did not show her images of Earth. Still it had been a blow to find out nothing of her family or home. She had to finish this quest and return home. Whatever Aule wanted from her she would do. She had to return to Earth and find the truth of her past. But how? What about Bilbo, Fili, Kili, and the others? What had those images in the mirror been?

The white-faced orc would haunt her dreams for many nights to come, but what scared her the most were the dead faces of Thorin, Fili, and Kili. How was she supposed to interpret that? A deep part of her didn't want to, could not stomach the thought. How could she prevent those scenes of pain and suffering? Was it possible, or would trying only cause them to come about as in Frodo and Sam's case? Galadriel said the mirror only showed what was possible in the future but not everything necessarily came to be. Sara clutched her head in confusion. The thought of their deaths was unbearable.

Despite the fact that she would someday leave this place she had grown close to Bilbo, Fili, and Kili. It had not been a conscious thing. In fact, if she had thought objectively about it she would have held herself back. She had meant to. There was no point in it. She belonged on earth. But who could have remained aloof with Fili, Kili, or Bofur around? And it just hurt to think about actively ignoring Bilbo. Who could do that? Perhaps Thorin, but that had been part of the reason at first hadn't it. In her rush to spite Thorin she had let herself go and now she cared deeply for them.

The image of Thorin pressing her to a tree as he kissed her burned itself into her memory. Heat coiled low in her stomach as she let the scene play itself out in her mind's eye. The kiss was hot and passionate and she... No! There was no point dwelling on something that was clearly never going to happen. Could not happen. Perhaps her feelings related to Thorin were changing, were growing... a little. He wasn't quite as bad as she had first assumed, but that didn't exactly mean he was a dreamy hunk ether.

It was ridiculous to think that he would ever even consider her in that way. Thorin had only recently begun to speak to her with more than distant civility, let alone show any type of interest in her. Besides, she was hardly what a dwarf would consider attractive as apparently dwarves preferred their women with beards. And there was the fact that she could not afford to get tangled up in anything like that here in Middle Earth. This heart-sister business with Fili was bad enough. Not that she didn't care for Fili or the others, but she would not be here forever and the closer she got to them the more it would hurt to let go when the time came. She had a life back on earth that was waiting for her... she hoped. But the mirror wasn't supposed to lie so maybe it was possible that Thorin and her... The sound of footsteps on the stairs broke her from her thoughts.

"With or without our help the dwarves will march on the mountain. Thorin is determined to reclaim their homeland and he feels he is not answerable to anyone," said Gandalf's voice. "Nor for that matter am I." He and Lord Elrond reach the top step.

"It is not me you must answer to," said Elrond, nodding toward Lady Galadriel.

"Ah," said Gandalf, spotting the white lady. "Lady Galadriel, forgive me."