Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight

In which Sara receives a gift and the company is awestruck.

"I still say ya have gone plum crazy," said Dwalin, pushing his half finished plate of food back across the small table. Thorin sighed and leaned back in his chair, glancing briefly at the closed door of Dwalin's cramped room. It had been three days since they had been summoned by Thranduil and all the company save Dwalin were savoring their freedom. Dwalin on the other hand was still in recovery and too weak to make it past the infirmary doors, though this was not from lack of trying. More than a few minutes on his feet and his returning strength would flag, his face turning pale as a fish's belly. The upside was that his shoulder was showing definite signs of recovery. Most of the missing flesh had grown back. Unfortunately the muscle that grew back was weak and untrained. The spider's venom had done extensive damage to Dwalin's body and his strength, but the elves that tended to him said that they were pleased with his progress and his strength should return to him quickly over the next few days.

"You call me crazy," said Thorin, plucking a blackberry from Dwalin's plate and popping it into his mouth before pushing the plate back across the table to his friend. "You need to eat." Dwalin's hollow cheeks were augmented by the dark patches under his eyes. He took up less room inside his clothes and his beard was scraggly and unkempt though clean.

"Don't mother me," grumbled Dwalin, pushing the plate away and crossing his arms. "I get enough of that from those namby pamby healers, always shoving food in my face. I can't stomach it much longer I tell ya. And yes yer mad if ya think ya can make friends with these ruddy elves."

"I never said I wanted to make friends," said Thorin coolly. "I don't much care for Thranduil. He's too silky smooth, but I cannot deny that an alliance with him will be beneficial and nor, I think, can you. If Sara's predictions for the future and your own observations have not convinced you of that then you are the fool. I know that you dislike the elves..."

"More than dislike," muttered Dwalin. Thorin ignored him

"Nevertheless, Balin and Sara have convinced me that it is for the best, and I can't help but think that Dis would take our side in this matter."

"They betrayed us in the past," said Dwalin, reaching for his ax on the floor and hefting it with some effort. "What's to keep them from doing it again?" Holding his ax out to his side he began to lift the it's weight repeatedly, grunting.

"They may and they may not have. I have already explained it to you. You know of the madness in the past kings. You fought in the battle for Moria. Furthermore, you were not even alive at the time of Smaug's attack. You can hardly hold a bigger grudge against these elves than myself." Dwalin did not answer but shifted his grip on the axe and continued his exercises. "Very well. Your reasons are your own, but like it or not the treaty is to be signed tomorrow before the feast."

"What feast?"

"Something they call the Feast of Starlight or some other such nonsense. Thranduil insists that we attend and celebrate our new alliance." Thorin stole another blackberry. "Still the others will be happy for a chance to eat their fill, or in Bofur's case, drink his fill. That dwarf is worse than a sponge."

"True enough," grumped Dwalin. "What of the others? What do they think of the pending alliance?"

"Most are of two minds, not liking the elves in particular, but also seeing sense. We all want to see the mountain retaken and the land safe from the ravaging orcs and goblins. It's like Sara said, we need not be friendly with Thranduil and his people just merely respectful enough to maintain an alliance."

"If it's yer intent and I cannot sway ya."

"You can't."

"Then despite disagreeing with yer decision I will support ya."