Chapter 26: Down and Out

Okay so a HEADS UP before you read, this chapter is unlike any of the movies or the book as its kind of a bit of a Frankenstein chapter. I prefer the look of the goblins from Rankin Bass's animated Hobbit movie so I use their descriptions here. For the purpose of this story understand that when I say Orc you should think of Azog and his minions, and when I say goblins you should think of the goblins from the animated movie. If you have not seen that movie GO WATCH IT! Its great and I love the music. Here is your long awaited update! Enjoy!

In which there are goblins.

Thorin leaned against the cave wall, listening to the heavy breathing of the company as he turned the key to Erebor over in his hand. He let his head fall back against the rock behind him and squeezed his eyes shut trying to rein in his frustration. He knew he had overreacted when he had shouted at Sara and Master Baggins. He had startled and surprised Sara and he could still see the hurt that had been in her eyes. He had let his fear for her and his temper get the better of him … again. He knew he had been unfair with his harsh words and had upset the tender hearted hobbit. Guilt had washed through him when he had heard Sara talking to Mr. Baggins, trying to console and cheer him. His nephews had been short with him when they had come to inquire after his condition. Dwalin, however, had had no such compunctions, not holding back his low opinion of Thorin's reaction. The warrior had made it very plain he was displeased. Thorin grit his teeth still frustrated, though now mostly only with himself.

After his talk with Dwalin a few nights back, Thorin had given much thought to the warriors words and he had reached a tentative decision. He looked to where Sara sat on her bed, hunched over the device giving off light in her hand. He watched the way her expressions changed the longer she looked, and he noticed the dimple in her brow as she frowned. He felt a desire to reach out and smooth her face back into contentment. He sighed quietly. She had not looked at him once that evening, though he often looked to her, and he knew she must be avoiding him.

Fili and Kili has spent the whole evening with her and Mr. Baggins reassuring the hobbit with their company. Of course Bofur had gone and consoled the hobbit as had Balin, for all had heard the quiet conversation between the girl and their burglar. Even Bifur had tried to cheer the little fellow, in his own way, placing a little carved bird in the hobbit's hands. Several of the company were cool towards Thorin when they spoke to him. Oin and Gloin talked to no one other than each other. Thorin knew he would have to make amends to clear the air, but he couldn't quite bring himself to do it just yet. Humility was not one of his strong suits, neither was diplomacy as Balin had pointed out on several occasions.

The soft whimpers of the hobbit reached his ears and he watched Sara turn to look after her friend. Thorin envied the hobbit his ease with the girl. He heard Sara's soft curse as the light in her hand winked out and he watched as she got up and left the cave. Once she was gone, he got to his feet to relieve Nori of the watch. Perhaps he could speak with Sara when she returned without so many listening ears as an audience. Dwarf ears were good, but a sleeping dwarf heard nothing and that suited Thorin's purposes best.

"I will take the watch now," said Thorin quietly, tucking the key into the pouch at his belt. Nori stood, nodding and went to lie next to his brothers and Thorin waited for Sara's return. He had been watching for several minutes and thought he could just hear her returning footsteps when Bilbo bolted upright from his rest, breathing heavily. "Master Baggins," called Thorin, taking a few steps closer, but he stopped when he spied a faint blue glow near the hobbits hip. Quickly drawing aside his own cloak he drew Orcrist several inches from its sheath. The blade was glowing blue!