Chapter 5: Breakfast and a Bet

Sara was woken by a sharp rapping on the door of Bilbo's second guest bedroom. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she quickly got up and opened the door a crack to peer out.

"Ms. Miller, why are you not up yet?" Gandalf stood outside her door, hat and robe on, staff in hand. "You must leave in ten minutes if you are to make it to the inn by nine."

"Who said I am going to the inn," she countered, just to be contradictive. She had decided last night that she would go on the quest even if Thorin wanted her gone. Gandalf had not heard her.

"Quickly now, gather your things." He turned and left her blinking blearily after him.

Sara had a lot of practice with rushed mornings, even so, there was not that much to get ready. She dressed, visited the now clean bathroom, repacked what little she had, and was out the door in five minutes. The house was strangely quiet as she made her way to the kitchen looking for the wizard. There was no sign that the dwarves had ever been there. All the furniture was restored to its proper place, not a dirty dish, trace of mud, or crumb of food was to be seen. The only thing that was still as it had been the night before was the empty larder. At least there would be no food to rot while Bilbo is away.

With one last-ditch effort, Sara closed herself inside the pantry one last time and then opened it. Nothing. Finding no sign of Gandalf, or indeed anyone in the house she made her way outside and almost tripped over the wizard who was sitting on a bench in Bilbo's little garden, puffing away at his pipe.

"Ah, Ms. Sara, good to see you up and about. It's a glorious morning, quite perfect for the beginning of a quest." She scowled at him.

"Where is everyone? Did they leave?"

"The dwarves, yes the dwarves are gone," said Gandalf. "But don't fret, we may see them yet if I know anything, which I do." He dug in his robes and pulled out a small pouch of money. "Take this to the inn and buy three breakfasts that can be eaten on the road."

"I have no idea where that is."

"Just follow this path for a mile or so and you can't miss it.

"Three breakfasts? Where is Bilbo?"

"You leave Mr. Baggins to me. Now be off. I will meet you there soon. I have some things to take care of here."

Not giving her a chance to argue, he pushed the pouch into her empty hands and went back inside Bilbo's green front door. She was half tempted to walk down the road in the opposite direction just to spite the wizard, but her empty stomach quickly put an end to that daydream. Shifting her pack higher on her shoulders and pocketing the money, Sara set off down the road towards the inn.

After what felt like two miles and still seeing no sign of an inn Sara decided that there was at least one thing that Thorin and she could agree on; wizards gave gammy directions. Maybe she wasn't meant to go on this quest after all, or maybe she was just prone to getting lost. After a few minutes, she spotted some chubby hobbit children who giggled and told her she had missed the turn about a half a mile back.

Finally reaching the inn Sara surreptitiously pulled her phone from her pocket and was pleased to find that she had arrived exactly at nine. Perhaps Gandalf did know what he was doing after all. Seeing no sign of the dwarves, Gandalf, or even Bilbo, she proceeded into the inn where she bought three fried egg sandwiches which the kind but curious matron had wrapped in paper for her, three large blueberry muffins, three glass bottles of milk, and a small basket full of blackberries the size of her thumb. There was still no sign of the dwarves when she came back outside, so she found a quiet spot under a nearby tree where she could see the road and began to eat.