Chapter 40: Ill Met

Alright so its up. Sorry if you notice a few more errors in this one... with its length i miss more. Shout out to my nephew Gavin who is the only person that i know personally who is caught up with my story. Thanks for the motivation! Also go check out Broken Hearts by DreamingGalaxies. It's another fun one! To all of you who reviewed last chatper... wow! I'm blown away! Thank you so much, Maja, Memo, Temp Noel, and Sophteis. I'm sorry I could not reply to your wonderful messages. Clobrandwell, thank you for the longest review to date on ffn! Thank you!

Chapter 40:

In which they cross a river and get some food.

"Do ya think we could eat these mushrooms?" asked Bofur the following morning as they passed yet another cluster of the blue topped fungi.

"I would not risk it," answered Bilbo from behind her. "We hobbits are very familiar with mushrooms, but I have never seen any quite like these blue ones here."

Sara tried not to think about her stomach as it clenched tighter. Instead, she remembered how pleasant it had been to sleep curled into Thorin's chest, his arms wrapped around her, and waking to his smell and warmth. Being the one on watch he had woken her first, kissing her temple lightly before setting about waking the others. Shortly thereafter they had continued on their weary way, but as Dwalin had chosen to walk beside Thorin, Sara had opted to walk with Fili, Kili, Bofur, and Bilbo at the back of the company. Every now and then Thorin would glance back at her and she would smile at him, as she did now. Fili, who was in front of her, turned to look at her, his eyebrows raised in question. She rolled her eyes and nudged him forward, trying to stifle her grin.

"What about these ones?" asked Bofur, pointing at some green and black mushrooms. Bilbo pulled a face.

"I don't know those either."

"Have you seen any that are edible?" insisted the toymaker.

"Not for about a week now, but even if I did recognize some, I still would not trust them." Bilbo hitched up his pants and adjusted his suspender straps. He was a far cry from the round faced, red cheeked hobbit she had met in Bag End; his clothes hung loosely on him and he looked disheveled and unkempt, but she supposed they all did. She didn't even want to think about how she smelled, but she guessed she didn't smell any worse than the rest of them, and probably better than most.

"I'm with Bilbo," she said, stopping to take a drink of water. It tasted muddy. "That's one of the universal rules of going through any enchanted forest: stay on the trail, don't drink the water, and never ever eat the mushrooms, even if a giant smoking caterpillar tells you to. Don't do it!"

"Smoking caterpillars?" said Fili dubiously. "What are you on about?"

"It's nothing," she said. "It's just another story from Earth."

"What's it called?" asked Kili.

"Alice in Wonderland," she replied absentmindedly as she followed behind Fili.

"Earth certainly has some interesting tales," sighed Kili, catching Bilbo's elbow as the hobbit stumbled on a loose stone.

"However odd it is lass, I say that's the first story ya tell tonight," said Bofur. "I think we could all use a good distraction."

"I think it's about time you shared some of your stories with me," she said.

"Do you hear that?" asked Fili, stopping so abruptly that Sara ran into him. They all fell quiet listening.

"Aye lad," said Bofur. "We better catch up to Bombur and keep an eye on him."

"Yes," said Bilbo, hurrying his step. "I don't fancy carrying him." Sara caught Kili's sleeve, irritated as the others rushed forward.