Epilogue

Notes: Thank you so much for reading Frozen. If you have enjoy it as much as I did writing it, please don't forget to read "Falling" the sequel to this story. First chapter is already up! 

18+ Content

....    ....   ... 

The clock strikes midnight. August 30th is officially here.

I stand by the balcony of Steve's bedroom looking beyond the lights to the East River, mindlessly tracing the length of the scar in my arm.

To think that I wouldn't be here, alive, if it wasn't for Steve. And here I am now, turning 26 years old, gifted with more friends and love I could ever imagine possible.

The glimpse of the candle's reflection on the glass catches my attention, and I turn around to watch Steve come in, a cupcake on hand with a single candle on top of it.

"Happy Birthday to you," he sings, "Happy Birthday My Dearest, Sweetest, Beatifulest Alex.... Happy Birthday to you."

I am laughing out loud by the time he stands in front of me, cupcake up to my face so I can blow the candle.

"Make a wish my love." He reminds me.

How can he look at me with such love and still think I have anything else to wish for? 

"I am not sure I can think of anything." I answer sincerely. "For the first time in my life I feel like all my dreams have come true."

"There is always to hope for."

I close my eyes, and think of what I want the most now.

I want happiness. For everyone. For Steve and Bucky to be reunited, for Natasha and Bucky to be together, for Tony and Pepper to marry and have tons of babies, for Sam to heal completely from his guilt and trauma, for Bruce to find inner peace, and for Clint to find his balance in life.

I am not sure if that is too much to ask for of a tiny half melted candle. But it is my birthday, and when I close my eyes I am reminded that dreams can come true.

So I blow on it, and the flame disappears. Steve hands me the cupcake and watched me as I bite into it. I eye him suspiciously, expecting him to smash the thing on my face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He half smiles, a bit confuse.

"You know, growing up I got my face smashed in my birthday cakes all the time. Is a Mexican thing." I explain.

"What? Why?"

"Oh don't worry, is fun. That is why Sam was kind of disappointed there was no cake tonight, Riley and I got him into it."

His fingers under my chin turn my head upwards to his. Steve leans down and with his tongue he licks the frosting that had smeared on the corner of my lips.

"Sweet." He whispers, and I am not sure if he means the frosting or me. "I have a gift for you."

I would be lying if I say I did not expect him to get me anything, but I am not sure what to expect.

He reaches behind him, and takes a medium jewelry box from his back pocket.

It is black velvet tied with a silver ribbon.

"I am afraid that after Thor's gift, this might be too small." There is caution behind his easy going smile.

I frown at him.

"Nothing that you give me is ever less than anything else." I reprimand him.

"I know, I know." Steve shyly lowers his head.