The Scythe

It was the night of the Concert. It seemed every cookie in the kingdom had gone to watch Mint Choco Cookie perform. He was a talented violinist. That was for sure. Vampire had seen and heard him play often. He couldn't recall much of what Mint Choco would play, his music soothed Vampire so much it would often cause him to drift off to sleep. Didn't help he hung out with Mint Choco at the bar so most of the time he was already drunk and about to pass out. Somehow he never minded though, Mint Choco Cookie. He understood how Vampire was and he knew he appreciated his musical talent regardless.

Vampire was walking along the street, he'd missed a good portion of the concert already. After Sparkling Cookie gave Vampire his ticket, he told him that they wouldn't be upset if he couldn't make it. Mint Choco and Herb Cookie both also knew something was up with Vampire, so they understood. They were such understanding people. It made Vampire even more disappointed that he'd missed the show. He hoped he could at least make it to maybe get drinks with them after the show or something.

     As Vampire made his way through the kingdom, he passed by the Juice Bar. It was closed, but he still stopped and peered into the building. It was dark but he could just barely make out the tables closest to the window. As he was about to turn to start walking back towards the Concert Hall, he caught a glimpse of himself in the window, his reflection. He stared at himself for a while, examining his sunken eyes from crying and staying up late, his messy hair going in all directions, and the same clothes he'd worn for days now. He was a mess. He could've cleaned up a bit before going to the performance but that would've taken to much effort. He barely got himself to even try to show up, let alone groom himself to be presentable.

As he stared at himself, he remembered something. Something right before he'd found Licorice that night. Seemed like all his thoughts went back to then in some way. He didn't remember much of that night, if anything, but he remembered he had been walking home when he saw Licorice's Scythe in between some garbage bins in an alleyway. Just a few buildings away from the Juice Bar. He turned his head in the direction of the alleyway. Without thinking, he headed in that direction. It was stupid. It was so stupid but he was set. He wasn't quite sure what he'd do if the scythe was still there, but he knew he wanted to know if it was.

     He checked between every building he came across, examining every garbage bin for the scythe. Then, he found it. It was under the bin now, seemed it slipped under there over time, allowing it to stay hidden from anyone who might've walked by. Vampire reached and grabbed the scythe. He held it up to his face and looked at it. What now? He thought, but he knew what he was going to do. He took it. He headed straight back to his house. He didn't want to admit it to himself, but he hoped that if he took the scythe it would make them have to speak to each other again. It was a childish thing to do but Vampire did it anyways. He tried to justify it by thinking he was 'keeping it from getting into the wrong hands' but that wasn't true. He was the only cookie in the kingdom who knew the scythe was there, aside from Licorice, who put it there to begin with.

     Once Vampire arrived back to the mansion, he hid the scythe in his room. Alchemist didn't frequent Vampire's room but better safe than sorry. Once placing the scythe down he sprinted back out. He had likely already missed the entire concert but he had to try.