Licorice

Vampire followed the candy creature through the halls and upstairs. The path was familiar and so Vampire quickly figured out what was to come. He was just tipsy enough to not mind mindlessly following a tiny guy leading him through his own home.

They reached a half open door, the door to Vampire's bedroom, and after the creature, Vampire flew in. The room was near spotless. His clothes that typically lay in uneven piles by the closet suddenly neatly stored away and the dusty, webbed corners of the room were now spotless. Vampire held his mouth agape until his eyes lead to Licorice Cookie. He was kneeled away from the door beside one of the unfamiliar little creatures that were scurrying about the room. Vampire set his feet down and once he did he felt the creatures tap and jump around him. Vampire smiled at their excitement and walked over to the cookie, with a trail of candy creatures following behind him. Licorice was sat folding clothes until he felt a weight lay itself beside the cookie. He quickly turned and starred. Vampire focused on the two piles of clothes. Half folded, half unfolded, and he grabbed one of the unfolded clothes and began folding. Silently, Licorice too continued his work.

     It was only a few minutes until the duo's split work came to a conclusion and they were left with a neat stack of clothes. The little creatures continued to explore the room around them while they sat in silence. It was a nice sort of silence though. They accepted one another's presence with the simple task they completed.

The silence finally broke when Licorice brought his hand up to the back of his neck and spoke, "Hope you don't mind... felt like I should help around since you let me stay here."

Vampire's gaze stayed distant. "I don't mind." Vampire lifted his hand and set it over one of the servants that had stayed by his side. "This little guy went over to fetch me though, why'd he do that?"

Licorice stared at the floor. He fiddled with his own fingers while he thought of a response. Should he tell the truth? That he just wanted to see him again and so sent a servant to make him follow it back up stairs?

"Heh, weird." He replied. But that can't be it, it's so dismissive. "uhm- I dunno, they just- do stuff I guess."

The silence resumed as neither knew what to say anymore. Licorice kept his glaze towards the floor, occasionally shifting it toward Vampire, to find him dangling his hand over the licorice servant as it reached up. I'm doing so, Vampire crossed his legs and grazed his knee on Licorice's. It was insignificant really, but the fact Vampire didn't feel the need to move it away meant something to Licorice. His touch, even indirectly, meant something. In that way they were together.

"Are we friends?"

Licorice snaps his gaze up to Vampires eyes, which haven't moved from the licorice servant. He adjusts how he's sat and anxiously twirls his laces with his fingers.

"What?"

"Are we friends-? Like, Do you think we are?"

"uh- why... why do you ask that?"

"We don't feel like friends. When I'm with you, it's like, different. Not like how friends are."

"I'm... sorry..."

"It's not your fault. You're wonderful, but what do you feel?"

"Me? I'm... uhm... Well I like you- I like being here. You're great. I don't like... not being here with you. If that makes sense- "

"I get it." By now Vampire has lifted his legs up to his chest. His arms are now around himself and he's hung his head over his knees. His speech had slowed and he looks pale. His gaze is blurry and vague.

"Are you okay?" Licorice asks, hesitantly reaching a hand out to him.

"Mhmm..." Vampire mutters, as his head continues its descent and his eyes gently shut. He rolls to his side and lays beside the pile of freshly-folded clothes.