Tonight

The washroom door opened to reveal Licorice cookie, he wore a plain black t-shirt that was a few sizes too large and a pair of shorts. His hair was loose and flowed down to his shoulders. He slowly walked into the bedroom towards the couch Vampire sat on. The two avoided eye contact and sat together in silence for a moment. Vampire looked over to Licorice, examining his now exposed arms and legs that where covered in scratches and bruises.

"So..." Vampire began, "what were you doing out in the woods?"

     Licorice scratched his shoulder and looked around. He adjusted himself on the seat and sighed.
"It's... a long story."

"I have all the time in the world. Lemme hear it."

Licorice looked forward, wondering if he should lie or come right out with what happened. He didn't like vulnerable position he was in. After a long pause, Licorice let out a sigh and looked down at his feet.

He went on to explain the day after their return from Hollyberry. He said he'd grown doubts in the darkness and how Pomegranate only cemented it with her talk of Dark Enchantress' disappointment in him. He couldn't take being there anymore so he left. Licorice kept it vague and short. He didn't want Vampire to know the extent of the situation. It could scare him.

Once Licorice cookie finished his story, Vampire kept his eyes on Licorice but tilted his head towards the couch. He laid his cheek on the satin cushion and kept eye contact. Licorice awkwardly kept wondering his eyes toward the floor, unsure of how Vampire cookie felt.

"That's it? Wasn't very long," Vampire remarked.

Licorice continued to stay silent while Vampire brought himself to the edge of the seat and rested his arms in his knees.

"So... you left the Darkness?"

     Licorice hung his head low and nodded. He looks up and for a second he hesitates to speak.

"Yeah... I don't know what I'm gonna do now. She- once they find out- I-" he stumbles over his words. "She'll be after me. I've been there for too long she'll be after me-" his voice strains and is cut off by Vampires hand on his shoulder. The touch takes him out of it and he stares at Vampire for a while.

"Could..." Licorice continues. "Could I stay here? Just for a- a while? It'll just be a few- uhm- days and-and I'll- i dunno- I'll-"

"Stay as long as you need, Licorice."

     Licorices stops and looks into Vampire's eyes. Vampire smiles and turns his attention to the room around him. He lifts his hand off Licorice's shoulder and he stands up.

"This place is huge, and it's just Alch and I so it should be no problem at all- well- except this is the only other room with a mattress, aside from Alch's room. Hm... it's fine! I'll figure something out later,  for now, let's get you something to eat!" Vampire claps his hands together and they walk to the kitchen.

————

Vampire lay awake, staring at the red, satin sofa he lay upon. He and Licorice had casually hung around the home for a while, figuring out the details of Licorice's stay at the mansion. By the time it came for them to make bedding arrangements, Vampire insisted Licorice take the bed, while he slept on the couch. However, Licorice refused, insisting on taking the couch since he was the guest. The two went back and forth until Vampire stubbornly sat on the couch, saying that Licorice would now have to sleep on the bed because he already took the couch. Instead of taking the bed, Licorice protested by laying on the floor in front of it. The two ended up falling asleep in there respective spots, neither taking the bed.

Vampire couldn't help smiling as he pretended to sleep. The situation was quite funny when he thought about it, the two's bickering and stubbornness. However, the smile would soon faded once he began to ponder Licorice's stay further. It all felt too convenient. He felt so conflicted. He wanted Licorice so badly, but he still couldn't for sure know his intentions. Did Licorice come to him because he was the easiest to fool? No, he may not seem it but Vampire was observant. He was capable and Licorice had to know that. But then what was he wanting to get out of this? Did Lico really just need a place to stay? Did he really leave the darkness? Vampire wished he could get into his mind and know what he truly thought.

Across the room, lay Licorice cookie on the floor. He was spread on his side, facing away from the couch Vampire was on. He dazed at a corner of the room, where the wallpaper had chipped ever so slightly. He focused on the chips as his mind wondered about. He wondered why the two hadn't just shared the bed. They have slept together before, what could be different now? He didn't think to bring up the idea, saying it out right may have been embarrassing but still. He wondered if maybe the fact that Licorice was going to be staying for so long bothered Vampire? He felt awful about potentially putting Vampire in danger simply by being there but he just needed time to get himself together.

     He turned towards the couch, his eyes gazed upon Vampire who had his back to him. His long red hair flowing down to the floor, brushing the dark carpets that covered the room. Ever since the night at Hollyberry, Licorice would fantasize of the two being together. He'd comfort himself with scenarios he'd make up of the two spending time together, before the darkness, at their school. Spending time together studying magic or star gazing. Things they'd done as friends but it would be different. Licorice would intertwine his hand with Vampire's. The action would be natural and Vampire would simply look over to him and smile. They'd lay together and just before going to sleep, they'd share a kiss. They would sleep with comfort that they were able to be together, that nothing was keeping them apart. Oh, if only that were the case...