Alchemy

A cold wind blew through the thick curtains. The breeze brushed over Licorice's dough and sent shivers down his spine. He jolted up, curling into himself further. He spun to face the semi-open window of the bedroom. As he lifted himself up to close it, he looked around and noticed the couch was empty. In fact, he was alone. Where had Vampire gone? After shutting the window, he walked toward the door and peeked out. He looked into the hallways that also held no sign of Vampire. Licorice walked down toward the first floor. He figured Vamp could be in the kitchen, the only other place Licorice knew how to get too.

He brushed his hand against the wall as he walked, observing the decor and wallpaper. As he approached the kitchen, he brushed his hand over a wooden door. He stopped and looked at it. He heard muffled voices coming from the other side. He pressed his ear to the wood to hear what was being said and make out who's voice it was. However, the sounds where still muffled.

As Licorice leaned onto the door, it swung open. Licorice fell straight to the floor, right at Alchemist Cookie's feet. Licorice lifted his face up and saw Vampire a ways behind her.

"What were you doing?" Alchemist cookie scolded.

Licorice pulled himself onto his knees. "Uhm, looking for Vamp..."

"Uhg, well, there he is. Now, both of you, leave me alone!"

"But Alchemist, C'mon! Just one potion, that's all I need!" Vampire pleaded.

"No, I'm not going to! If you want it so bad, make it yourself! Use your 'school-taught alchemy knowledge' to brew up a potion!"

Vampire pouted as Alchemist walked around Licorice and into the hallway.

Vampire crouched by Licorice. "Sorry about that."

"No, it's fine, but—what was all that about?"

Vampire sighed and sat on the floor. "I was hoping she'd make something that could maybe disguise you, so we don't have to worry about any cookie recognizing you, but— as you can see— she wasn't too willing to do that. I said please and everything..."

Vampire silently thought for a moment, focusing on a random part of the smooth floor. He turned to Licorice, examining his face and hair closely before he perked up in a sudden burst of energy.

"I got it!" he giggled, pulling Licorice up to his feet and running further into Alchemist's lab.

From the depths of the room, was a barrel. Vampire pulled the barrel out and placed it before Licorice cookie. Licorice watched curiously as Vampire scrambled to grab a container of some sort. He pulled a empty beaker from the piles of equipment and filled it with a pink liquid from within the barrel. Vampire leaned over and offered the beaker too Licorice.

"What is it?"

"It's this juice Alchemist gave me. It'll turn your hair pink!"

"Huh?? Pink? Why pink??"

"I dunno. It's just what it does— and it's the only thing I can think of to disguise you!"

Licorice took the glass and observed the liquid. After smelling the fluid and shaking it around a bit, Licorice took a sip. He was surprised. It tasted... really good! He downed the rest of the glass and set it on the table. He looked back to Vampire, who stood by staring at the cookie's hair with wonder. Licorice's once deep, indigo locs where now a vibrant rosy pink hue. Vampire reached over and ran his fingers between strands of Licorice's hair.

"So pretty" Vampire muttered to himself. Then, he pulled away and clasped his hands together. "Okay! Now, maybe if you wore something else, no cookie will be able to recognize you!"

"but I like my robes..." Licorice sighed.

"You can still wear it! Just— once it's not so dirty and torn up,,,"