Alchemist

"Tsk, you called me in here for nothing?!"

"Nothing?! He is unconscious! What if he's sick or something!"

Alchemist kneels over Vampire and presses the back of her hand on his forehead. "He's fine," she sighs. "He doesn't have a fever or anything this just happens. He should be up in a hour or so."

"It just happens? Why?"

"Have you seen him? He doesn't take care of himself. He hardly eats and only sleeps when he's passed out. If he wasn't a vampire he'd fall asleep and never wake up."

Licorice stares at Vampire, deep in thought of what Alchemist had just said. As Alchemist puts her gloves back on she notices this. She analyzes him for a minute before crossing her arms across her chest.

"Why are you even still here?"

Licorice swings his head to Alchemist. "What?" he asks.

"You heard me, what are you trying to get out of him?! You may have him fooled but I know you're up to no good! What do you want? Huh? What's any of it have to do with Vampire?" She takes a step forward, and Licorice promptly takes one back.

Licorice Cookie's lip quivers a bit as he figures out what to say. He needs to say the right thing, and fast.

"I-I don't want anything! I just needed a place to stay-"

"Bullshit! Why? Why did you suddenly need a place to stay after Vampire bends over backwards for you?! Sneaking you around the kingdom and retrieving your scythe? You know you have him wrapped around your finger and you're stringing him along so he can play into one of your schemes!"

"I don't have a scheme, I left the Darkness!"

Alchemist's taken aback, and her demeanor changes for a moment. Her tense shoulders loosen and she's visibly confused. She thinks for a moment and straightens her posture again. "Is that what you told him?"

"That's what happened. I'm not trying to get anything out of this! I'm just trying to- to fix everything!"

Licorice wraps his arms around his sides and holds himself for a moment. He scans the floor as he thinks of his words. He isn't good at talking his way out of things, even if his truth isn't malicious in anyway. Especially here, where Vampire's sister was pressing him on all these accusations.

"Well, what is it?" she asks.

Licorice shakes his head. "I just need to make things right with him."

"God, what problems do you two possibly have? This is why I can't trust this, can't trust you. What's your deal? Like what are you doing? You're a great wizard- little dumb- but proficient! Why put something like that to waste in the Darkness?"

Great... Licorice stares at the wall. Processing the words Alchemist had told him. He chooses to pass on replying to the last part. As much as it lingers in his mind, he doesn't want to be too vulnerable.

"Vampire means a lot to me..." he mutters, just loud enough for Alchemist to hear him. "But... once I talk to him... everything will be fine. I'll be out of your hair after. I just, need a bit."

"... he really likes you, ya know."

"I think I've already known. I just..." he sighed. " It wouldn't work, but I want to make things right."

He glanced back at Vampire, who laid in the same position he'd been in, but now wrapped with his own cloak. Alchemist observed the room, cleaned but now empty as Licorice dismissed his servants. She headed towards the door and called back to Licorice.

"Well, I'm going downstairs to fix up something to eat, want anything?"

"I'll eat anything. Just... make it something he'd eat?"

Alchemist gives a half-nod and leaves. As the door shuts Licorice sits down beside the bed. His gaze shifts as he tries not to stare at Vampire while he's out.

He looks outside. The rain has slowed down, and bits of sunshine seep onto the ground below. Licorice wonders if the sky would be clear by nighttime, it would be nice to see the stars.