i love you.

It didn't take long for the duo to finish the plate of the halves of sandwiches. Within a few minutes the plate was empty and the two were off to see the sky. The sun was setting and a cool breeze swept the room from the open window. Vampire had carried along a thick blanket for just this reason. He had it draped over his shoulders, similar to how he wore his cape, which he had on underneath the blanket.

Once reaching the balcony, Vampire tossed the blanket down onto the floor and laid down. His head was to the railing and his feet pointed to the entrance of the room. Licorice laid a few feet apart. They looked up at the darkening sky, going from a light blue, to a crimson gold, and finally a deep violet sky. Clouds still floated about, mingling between the stars that slowly appeared, but soon they all passed, and all that was visible was the pitch black universe illuminated by little golden dots within.

"You..." Licorice began but slowly trailed off with his own thought. This quickly caught Vampire's attention and he stared at him, waiting for him to continue. "You've changed."

Vampire was confused, and it must've showed because Licorice quickly explained himself once turning to look at Vampire.

"As in, you aren't how you were back then... back when we studied together. I didn't mean in a bad way— I still- You are still how you were, but differently now."

Vampire continued to stare at Licorice in silence.

Licorice nervously continued to speak, "Sorry, I don't think any of that made sense-"

"No, it did. It's just what happens I guess. You're different too."

"Really?"

"Yeah, well, in really small ways. Most notably your fashion sense."

Licorice laughed. Vampire smiled a bit as well before continuing.

"But, also, uhm... I'm not sure, maybe it's how everything is now, that makes everything seem different when it's not really."

"hmm. Mhmm." Licorice mumbled. That made a lot of sense honestly. It once again reminded him of what he'd told Alchemist. Once I talk to him everything will be fine. I'll be out of your hair after. But how true was any of that? Everything will be fine? He had no way of knowing that, and it scared him to think of. Licorice shivered.

"Cold?" Vampire asked.

Licorice rubbed his shoulders for warmth. "Uhm, Yeah. Kind of..."

Vampire then sat up a bit and took off his cloak. He tossed it over to Licorice, who let half of it lay across his torso. The black cloak was fairly thick and so provided a fair amount of warmth.

"Thanks, Vamp."

"No problem."

A strong wind blew past the duo, and Licorice clutched onto the cloak and curled up into it. Vampire stayed staring up to the sky, examining the stars. Licorice too looked up, watching as stars became visible through the deepening night.

Then Vampire suddenly sat up. It was slow but the movement caught Licorice off guard. He too jolted up, with the cloak still wrapped around him.

"It can't keep going on like this." Vampire muttered. He nearly whispered it to himself, and for a moment Licorice believed he hadn't heard correctly.

"huh-"

"Licorice," Vampire turned to completely face him. They were both sat on the blanket, the dead of night, eye-to-eye. "Licorice, I don't want you to go. I keep thinking about it and I... I want you here— with me. It's— I just— I... I love you, Licorice Cookie. I love you!"

Tears streamed along the cookies face. He could feel his heart pounding in his ears, muffling the sounds of his own uneasy breathing. He stared down at his knees, right where his shaky hands lay atop of. A few seconds passed, but it felt like an eternity of painful, painful anticipation.

"Vampire Cookie..."

Vampire lifted his gaze, and through his watery eyes he could see Licorice, wrapped in his cloak and looking unsure. He feared the worst. They both did.

"I love you too... but— I don't want to get you hurt. It was already stupid of me to come here!- they could come after me at any minute— they could- I... "

Vampire embraced the cookie. His arms over the other's shaky shoulders. The embrace was warmth he'd desperately needed, so he completely sunk into the grip of the vampire, laying his head between the other's shoulder and jaw. He slowly placed his arms around the cookie's waist.

"If they come after you, I'll protect you."

"... Pffshhh, I can take them on hehe— but... I just want to keep you safe. You shouldn't have to be in any danger. Not because of me."

Vampire pulls away from the embrace slowly, keeping his arms on Licorice's shoulders. As they are inches away, Vamp brings his hands up to cup Licorice's face.

"You're worth it," he says.

Licorice brings his hand up to Vampire's, but he stays silent. There's a pain in Licorice's chest but he closes his eyes and smiles. This can't last, but he can at least enjoy it while it does.