Forced arrangements

Ved’s POV :

I couldn’t join Mom and Dad during their visit to Avasthis. But I really hoped everything goes well with him and he recovers soon. Mom and Dad came home next day early in the morning. I still had to go to office since Dad was taking a day off today. Once I wrapped up my work I asked Anaitha about my schedules for tomorrow. She came back with me when I shifted from Mumbai to Mangalore. Now she continues to works as my secretary in V&A solutions.

Since I didn’t have much important works tomorrow, I decided to take a day off and spend time with Mom and Dad. I also had to talk to them about Krithi Akka’s marriage date which they discussed with Avinaash’s family. I returned home and since all of us were tired we decided to sleep early.

Next day morning Mom and Dad were secretly talking with their sign languages. Whenever they do it, they have something to talk to me and they fight about who will spill the news to me.
  “I know something’s running in your brains. Anyone of you can begin explaining your master plans. I am all ears.”
I said with a smirk.
  “Let’s finish breakfast Ved. We have some important things to discuss about your future "
Dad spoke as he finished his breakfast and left to living room.

They left to Bangalore to discuss about my sister’s marriage now out of the blue they want to discuss about my future. I still can’t realize what actually runs in my parent’s brains even after so many years of staying together. I finished my breakfast and settled in the leaving room couch.
  “So who will begin with the attack this time and who will defend later?”
  “Ved, this is important stop joking around”
My Mom spoke in her stern voice.
So its my mother who will be handling the attack part today. Then I really need to be mentally strong to face her. Nobody in Vasisht family wins an argument against Mrs. Shaanthala Vasisht. So I sat with a serious face and asked her to speak.

  “Ved we have decided to get you engaged soon. We found a perfect partner for you."
Her voice was completely authoritative and I don’t think she is joking around now.
   “Mom what do you mean by you found someone for me when I already have Anaitha in my life? You know we both love each other and what’s with arrange marriage shit? I’m not getting engaged to anyone other than Anu and that too not anytime soon"
I was really shocked when I heard she want to set me up in an arrange marriage. Like seriously mom?
  “No Vedanth, I’m definitely not accepting that girlfriend of yours. I can give you n number of reasons why she doesn’t fit in your life nor in this family. So you will agree to this alliance without any further questions."
  “Mom are you kidding me? Why can’t Anu be my life partner, she has everything I want in my life partner. We aren’t having anymore discussions on this mom."
  “No Ved, we are continuing this conversation till you hear my words completely. Do you think I don’t know anything about the way she uses you as an ATM and a trophy boyfriend. Life is not about shopping and attending parties Ved. I want your partner to be someone who can love you as Vedanth and not as future owner of Vasishtas.”
Her words were really fierce this time. She never spoke in such a tone till date.
  “Mom I like to spend my earnings on people I love, what’s wrong with that?"
  “You’re asking me that Ved, ok fine where was your so called girlfriend when you attended your sister’s engagement? Forget it, where was she when we were almost at the verge of bankruptcy? She was nowhere near you Ved. Now that you have a good position, she is back to the business of clinging onto your arms. Do you think I will accept such gold digger in my family?"
  “Mom she had her own reasons for those situations. You can’t judge her based on that.”
I can’t let anyone talk to Anaitha like this.
  “Ved you’re forgetting something important right now, your future wife will not just be a life partner to you. She will be the daughter-in-law of Vasisht family and I would never ever accept her”
  “Mom you’re being completely judgmental about someone whom you hardly know. Its not fair for her or me"
  “Don’t come around defending that girl Ved. I don’t want to be manipulated with her sweet talks. I have seen enough people in my life and fortunately I can understand their thinking through their actions, unlike you who is happy living in the castle of hope that’s built with fake things”
  “Shaantala calm down. We planned on discussing and not arguing"
Dad tried to calm her down.
  “No Dev I can’t let him ruin his future with that girl. Why can’t he be bit more sensitive towards what I'm talking? Do you think I will purposefully make your life hell Ved?”
She almost teared up.
  “ Definitely no Mom. I know you love me and care about me. Lets calm down and talk normally. I really don’t want to argue with you or Dad”
  “Then will you say ok to the girl I chose for you? “
  “Mom I don’t even know about whom your talking now, so how can I say anything?”
  “I’m talking about Jaanvi, Avinaash’s sister. She is perfect for you in everything Ved. She is beautiful, talented, independent and well mannered. She will be the best daughter-in-law for this family. Even Krithi was so happy when I told her about this. We all love her Ved. Please think about it"
   What the actual hell is wrong with my family. They are trying to set me up with my Ex. I mean… I broke up with her years ago because I don’t see a future in a relationship with her and my Mom has already planned my future with her. It’s definitely a no…..any given day it’s a no and a big NO, that’s all.
   “Mom I’m extremely sorry. I can’t accept her even if you don’t accept Anaitha”
I didn’t want to drag this anymore.
   “Why not Ved, what’s wrong with her?
  She is any day better than that girlfriend of yours. The only girl I accept as daughter-in-law for this family is Jaanvi.”
   “If you’re so much in love with her why don’t you guys adopt her and get her married to some good guy. I can sponsor it on my own"
   “Ved I’m very much serious about this ”
   “Do I look like am kidding mom? I can’t marry her. I have my own reason"
   “Fine then, live with your reasons and that girlfriend of yours. Never come back here looking for your Mom and Dad”
   “Mom stop talking nonsense. You’re asking your son to leave this house for some random stranger"
   “She isn’t some random stranger Ved. She is your sister’s soon to be sister in law and the daughter of the man who saved your family from bankruptcy. We are literally indebted to them. Don’t you dare speak a word about them with that tone."
Dad spoke with his serious tone.
  “Ohh…. so its business deal right? They forced you for this right? God I can’t believe they used such cheap business techniques. How can I trust Krithi Akka’s future with such people?"
I let out a sarcastic laughter.
Just because they supported us financially means they can’t buy me with their money. Jaanvi…. I didn’t expect you to play this dirty just for a petty revenge. I never expected you and your family would stoop so low. I disgust you Jaanvi.