Chapter One

School had never invoked any kind of interest or skill in me other than pure resentment and apparently, the inability to measure time correctly. Because if I was able to tell time, we would be exactly 56 years and 29 minutes in the future rather than having 17 minutes of class before the bell rings. No amount of treacherous formulas could distract my attention from the old clock placed above the whiteboard.

I'm not too fond of loud noises. If you'd ask my therapist, Gina, or my social worker, Kim, they'd tell you it's because of the years of verbal abuse I'd endured in many of my foster homes. But I just think it's because loud noises are annoying and hurt my eardrums. However, I was willing to make one exception; the amazing, spectacular, world-changing, beautiful, school bell. That, I most certainly loved.

My friend Axel was absent. No surprise there since he has way more absences that he does attendances. It kind of sucks since I'm mostly alone at school but I guess I can cope. I haven't missed a day in school. Don't be fooled. It's not because of my love and enthusiasm for this flawed system. I just don't want to have a label on my back. 'Troubled Foster Kid Who Dismisses His Education to Most Likely Get High Because He's Had a Hard Life.' A pretty long label but whatever. So I get good grades and have perfect attendance. Not to mention, no criminal record. Which makes social workers and foster parents very happy. "Look at him! He isn't totally fucked up because of our shitty system! There's still hope for him even if his parents abandoned him and he's an unwanted, worthless piece of shit-"

Anyway... school is horrible. I don't blame Axel for ditching. I glance at the clock again. 12 minutes left until lunchtime. Great. I turn my attention back to the teacher who was explaining whatever it was that she was explaining. There was a knock on the door and the principal walked in. "Sorry to interrupt but can I steal Daniel from your class for a bit?" She grinned broadly. Me? Oh god. The teacher nodded and gestured for me to leave the class. I sighed and got up. "Gather your things, Daniel." The principal said. I frowned in concern and confusion but did as I was told anyway. I picked up my bag and slung it against one shoulder then followed the short woman out the class.

We walked silently towards her office. The only sound that filled the empty hallways was the sound of her high heels.

Once we reached the office, I saw Kim sitting in the chair. My heart skipped a beat. The principal took a seat and told me to take one as well. I sat down absentmindedly. My hands shook with anxiety. Whenever Kim's there, something bad usually follows. But while I read her expression, I could tell that she was cheery. Does she take pleasure in my suffering or was she going to give me some good news?

"Dan, there's something I have to tell you." Kim started. I nodded at her, signalling for her to go on. I was pretty sure my throat would not be able to handle words. "Um, Mrs. Carter, would you mind giving us a minute?" She asked the principal nervously. "Of course." She replied and left her own office, closing the door gently behind her. I felt my leg start to shake, and I fidgeted nervously with my fingers.

"Dan, your biological father reached out. He wants to take you back." She smiles like she told me good news. "What?" I blink. I don't think I'll ever be able to process that. Or how I feel about that. Or how I should react.

My dad. The guy who left me in a foster home when I was 5. He wanted to take me back? Like I was a car he changed his mind about? A house he rented? I frowned slightly, which was clearly not what Kim expected. "You should be excited!" She said, beaming. I swallowed back my anger. It wasn't fair to take it out on her. Or anyone, really. I took a deep breath and relaxed my face. I smiled at her, which felt extremely uncomfortable and fake but she seemed to believe it. "Sorry, it was just a lot to take in." She touched my knee, which almost made me flinch. "I understand." She smiled sympathetically.

"The paperwork is going to take a few months, but you can move in with them in 2 days!" She said. "Them?" I asked. Does this mean I have a mom? "Oh, right. You have 3 older brothers as well!" So, no mom, then.

My eyebrows raised in disbelief. I had siblings that I had no idea existed?! I pushed down the weird feeling I got when I realised they grew up with my dad, and they weren't abandoned like I was. I felt kind of strange. I could feel the tears start to form, so I quickly ducked my head to make it seem like I was fixing my hair.

"I can't wait to meet them." I smiled and looked up when I managed to form words again. "Question; why did I have to pack my bag and leave class?" I asked, confused. "Your father couldn't wait to meet you. He said he wanted to have lunch with you today."

"Sounds great." I heard myself say. "Perfect. He's outside right now. In the parking lot, I think. He's the handsome fella with the big, black, expensive looking car." She stood up and grabbed my arm. I quickly pulled it back, but she didn't seem to notice. I opened the door and Kim passed through. Kim and I walked down the stairs to the exit and into the parking lot. True to Kim's description, there was a black car with a rich-looking guy inside. I dragged my feet on the gravel until I reached the car. "I've already spoken to him." Kim said. "He seems like a great guy. Don't worry, I told him about your... past experiences with foster families," she paused to gauge my reaction which I didn't give then she continued, "and he's very sympathetic. Says he'll do anything to make sure you're comfortable and happy." I nod and smile like a repetitive robot. I knew the chances of him being a decent guy were slim. I didn't want to get my hopes up in case he ends up like all the other families I've been with. An absolute piece of shit.

I knock softly on the car window. He rolls it down. "Hop in." He smiled warmly. I did. I put on the seatbelt and awkwardly stared forward. I could feel his piercing gaze on my face. It must be weird for him, I guess, to see his son 10 years later, and not having him recognise his own father. I didn't think I was quite ready to forgive him for what he did. I was put through a lot since I was very young. And he knows every gruesome detail.

This was going to be so fun.